Black Lines at bottom of TV

inZane86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Hi everyone.
I noticed a few hours ago some thin, non-solid black lines appearing at the bottom left side of my screen. I noticed them before, but they seem to have gotten worse (either that or my ocd is making me imagine things). They seem to be more or less visible depending on the color shade, being more visible with a 70% grey color behind them. They appear to fade in and out along the bottom of my tv screen, while they are most pronounced at the bottom left hand corner. I keep my external drives here and it did momentarily cross my mind this might have something to do with it, but I don't know enough about LED TVs to really come to a conclusion on that. I've looked on google for people with similar problems, but theirs appear to be much worse. Is this a sign of things to come? If so which would be the best course of action? I've tried applying pressure which did nothing, I tried turning it off and unplugging it for around 10 minutes which did nothing. I did have a few power failures earlier, could that have broken something? So far all my searching leads me to believe it could either be the ribbon cables, the t-con board, or the main board.

Could someone please give me some advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached some image links (not so good quality I apologize)

Tv model is a Sony Bravia 46" 46hx750

http://i.imgur.com/n3Pm0UH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9oowxdA.jpg

(Note: I might not have noticed it fully before, because I use my tv as a monitor and the start menu sits right on the problem area)

It seems pretty insignificant next to other problems I've seen, I'm just worried about it escalating.

Solution
Yes it could get worse, and yes it can be caused by several things you listed, and yes power outages can cause damage to electronics which may have caused the image defects. Looks like that is a set from about 1012 so probably no longer in warranty. Either live with it, or look into how much a replacement would cost. The price to get a tech to fix it is probably not worth it when for another $200 you can get a new 46" TV with a new warranty.
Yes it could get worse, and yes it can be caused by several things you listed, and yes power outages can cause damage to electronics which may have caused the image defects. Looks like that is a set from about 1012 so probably no longer in warranty. Either live with it, or look into how much a replacement would cost. The price to get a tech to fix it is probably not worth it when for another $200 you can get a new 46" TV with a new warranty.

Solution