Black lines on screen

Marin Badea

Estimable
Nov 12, 2015
Hello guys,

I have a wierd issue with one laptop i own. I get black lines and shapes but not on the screen, only on apps. For example if i have one excel or webpage open i get sometimes ( random times) shapes on it but if i close the app or minimise it the shape is not on the desktop too. Did you encounter such a problem before?

I reinstalled windows and installed the latest drivers.
It's an nvidia 940m graphic card and intel 5500 graphic combo.

Hi,

First test you can try to identify the issue is by connecting an external monitor and see if the same problem will persist because if it's not happening on the other display that means it's your built in display that has an issue. But if it's happening on the external display as well that means you may have a faulty graphics card. Start by uninstalling/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the driver from there.
- Open Programs and Features and make sure anything related to NVIDIA graphics will be uninstalled as well.
- Download and install the driver from NVIDIA support site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Reboot the PC after the installation then observe it.

If these troubleshooting steps will not work also do try to clean the inside of your laptop and re-apply a new thermal paste on the GPU. And worst case is you may need to contact the manufacturer for a repair if it's still under the factory warranty.