Black Screen after Blue Screen

Dad1722

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
I have a Gateway m6885u laptop computer. I got a Blue Screen and then the screen went black. The computer seems to boot ok, the fan works, DVD and Hard drive lights work, and the battery charges normally.

I have tried using an external monitor and still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Louise. :)

I understand and agree that replacing the CPU is not always cost effective. What you're suggesting ─ a reflow ─ though, SOMETIMES works fine for problems with solder joints. This does not appear to be an issue with a surface mounted chip, however. The integrated GPU built into the CPU appears to be at fault here (just a prognosis), and if you heat the CPU far beyond its TJunction, you may exacerbate the problem or even destroy the chip.

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi there,
I know the feeling when you can hear the pc boot and you can't see anything or you can't access your data.
I've seen it on a dozen of laptops and desktops.

I allready gave a solution on another thread, the question is: are you going to have it done or do it yourself ?

Today I repaired a laptop which went blank after 10 minutes, it took me (expert) 4hours with great results.
I charched 40€/h.

The reason behind these laptops going bad is because of the GPU behind fixed on the motherboard with lousy soldering !

I repair them by just heating the GPU to 195°C and that's it.
The only way to do it is the way I explained on this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2410647/laptop-screen-black-backlight-system-running.html

look also at the video of someone doing it. (the only thing he's doing wrong is the temperature, I keep a sensor close to the gpu and measure it closely)

good luck.
cheers, Louise.

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
@prostar,

it's so easy to replace, at least for the one receiving the money ! :-(
In most shops they even advise to buy a new laptop unless it's under warranty.
But usually it works until 1 day past that !

try to repair it ! Check out my link !
it's cheaper and as efficient !

cheers, Louise.

Dad1722

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014

Hi Louise. :)

I understand and agree that replacing the CPU is not always cost effective. What you're suggesting ─ a reflow ─ though, SOMETIMES works fine for problems with solder joints. This does not appear to be an issue with a surface mounted chip, however. The integrated GPU built into the CPU appears to be at fault here (just a prognosis), and if you heat the CPU far beyond its TJunction, you may exacerbate the problem or even destroy the chip.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
heybrian Laptop Tech Support 2
Vahlen Laptop Tech Support 1
Rogers2019 Laptop Tech Support 1
sulphur88 Laptop Tech Support 1
MasterLewis Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 2
M Laptop Tech Support 7
MrChard39 Laptop Tech Support 0
Reh@n Laptop Tech Support 3
TehAsezOner Laptop Tech Support 0
Philbert24 Laptop Tech Support 1