Black Screen after Blue Screen

Dad1722

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
I have a Gateway m6885u laptop computer. I got a Blue Screen and then the screen went black. The computer seems to boot ok, the fan works, DVD and Hard drive lights work, and the battery charges normally.

I have tried using an external monitor and still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated

Solution

Hi Louise. :)

I understand and agree that replacing the CPU is not always cost effective. What you're suggesting ─ a reflow ─ though, SOMETIMES works fine for problems with solder joints. This does not appear to be an issue with a surface mounted chip, however. The integrated GPU built into the CPU appears to be at fault here (just a prognosis), and if you heat the CPU far beyond its TJunction, you may exacerbate the problem or even...

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Hi there,
I know the feeling when you can hear the pc boot and you can't see anything or you can't access your data.
I've seen it on a dozen of laptops and desktops.

I allready gave a solution on another thread, the question is: are you going to have it done or do it yourself ?

Today I repaired a laptop which went blank after 10 minutes, it took me (expert) 4hours with great results.
I charched 40€/h.

The reason behind these laptops going bad is because of the GPU behind fixed on the motherboard with lousy soldering !

I repair them by just heating the GPU to 195°C and that's it.
The only way to do it is the way I explained on this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2410647/laptop-screen-black-backlight-system-running.html

look also at the video of someone doing it. (the only thing he's doing wrong is the temperature, I keep a sensor close to the gpu and measure it closely)

good luck.
cheers, Louise.

Louise Porkolt

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
@prostar,

it's so easy to replace, at least for the one receiving the money ! :-(
In most shops they even advise to buy a new laptop unless it's under warranty.
But usually it works until 1 day past that !

try to repair it ! Check out my link !
it's cheaper and as efficient !

cheers, Louise.

Dad1722

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014

Hi Louise. :)

I understand and agree that replacing the CPU is not always cost effective. What you're suggesting ─ a reflow ─ though, SOMETIMES works fine for problems with solder joints. This does not appear to be an issue with a surface mounted chip, however. The integrated GPU built into the CPU appears to be at fault here (just a prognosis), and if you heat the CPU far beyond its TJunction, you may exacerbate the problem or even destroy the chip.

Solution