Black screen and a few beeps

kixcode

Estimable
Aug 6, 2014
Hello everyone. My Toshiba laptop C800D is working fine until I shut it down and turned it on after a few minutes. But this time, after it displays the "TOSHIBA LEADING INNOVATION" thing the screen turns black followed by a 3 long beeps and 2 short beeps and something like it displays a text behind in MS-DOS environment but it's distorted. I have a very basic knowledge in computer technician and I thought the problem is the memory card (I have a PC and this problem usually happens as my nephew sometime accidentally kick the system unit resulting to loosen up the memory card grip), so I open the back cover and tried to clean the memory card teeth with a rubber eraser and fixed it on its place, turned on my laptop once again but still got the same problem. Upon searching for possible solution over the internet, I found these and give it a try:

1. Turn off the laptop, remove the battery for about 5 minutes, put the battery back and turn it on
2. Turn off the laptop, turn it on while pressing the down arrow
3. I even wen to BIOS setup to put the my cd-drive to first priority hoping that I could reformat my laptop using my recovery disk

All these options doesn't work. Can you guyz help me another way around on how to fix my laptop? I can't afford to bring it to the actual technician :/

kixcode

Estimable
Aug 6, 2014
Hello. I've tried your suggested solution and even timed the 30 seconds to make it exact. At first, it turns on but without but a black screen, no distortion and no logo of toshiba showed upon start up. It was my first encounter so I was like, maybe I'll have to give it few minutes, after 5 minuyes or so I went back to check it and it's still on black screen. It seems quite so I tried to press a key, when I press the key the fan inside seems to rotate faster than it should which would only a last a micro second after pressing the key. I don't want to give up and decides to do the procedure for the seond time around. This time it went back to it's initial problem but without the beeps now, only the black distorted screen.

By th way, about what you say on booting, do you mean to just turn on the laptop or boot my recovery disk by changing its priority on the BIOS setup?

kixcode

Estimable
Aug 6, 2014
*sigh I don't think the problem is in the software side, I'd have to guess that it's a hardware failure. I thought I could at last see the light at the tunnel at the end when you told me to do the 30 seconds thing coz it behaves differently but then it went back to its initial problem. But hey! Thank you very much for your sincere response. I really do appreciate your help. Again, thank you, and sorry for my bad English, I'm just a typical Filipino guy. I guess I'm gonna have to put my laptop aside and save for it so that I can bring it to the actual technician.

PS: I tried your previous suggestion, I think it work coz I can see an options from the background, however, it's distorted. Lol!