Solved! Black screen. Lenovo p52. Bios update hung.

BenBenBen

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
New Lenovo p52. While in windows I was asked to update bios. I did it and it took me to a black screen which said it was updating... After about five hours on the same screen I held down the power button to force shut down the laptop which did nothing. I eventually had to remove the battery to shut it down. The next time I tried to boot the computer itjust hits a black screen. I have tried with no battery and I have tried with an external monitor,but nothing. What do I do now?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Solution
Unfortunately BIOS upgrades don't always go perfectly. It definitely shouldn't take 5 hours, so you were in the right shutting it down. You can't recover a failed bios flash on your own. Some newer machines have preventative measures for this, but that would have happened automatically and your machine would have booted already. So the bad news, a new motherboard will be in order. Since you mentioned it was new, you'll need to contact Lenovo as this will be something they should cover.

N3rdR4ge

Estimable
Jun 16, 2014
Unfortunately BIOS upgrades don't always go perfectly. It definitely shouldn't take 5 hours, so you were in the right shutting it down. You can't recover a failed bios flash on your own. Some newer machines have preventative measures for this, but that would have happened automatically and your machine would have booted already. So the bad news, a new motherboard will be in order. Since you mentioned it was new, you'll need to contact Lenovo as this will be something they should cover.

Solution