Question Lenovo ThinkPad W541 Failed BIOS update using System Update Utility --Black Screen

Mar 26, 2024
I have a W541 (20EG-S06A16). I ran the Lenovo System Update Utility and it brought down 2 BIOS updates for the device. The BIOS updates were downloaded, and the device rebooted to do the BIOS updates. After about 20 minutes, I looked over and noticed that one of the updates completed and the other had a message "Flash update failure". I power cycled the device and it went into a loop where it went into a high power start keyboard backlighting flashing then a click and reboot. Nothing on the screen. This kept happening until I power off the device. I have tried the Lenovo Power drain https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht510479-device-does-not-restart-after-bios-update and also removed the coin cell CMOS battery to reset the BIOS. First boot gave 5 beeps then nothing. Nothing on screen. The device no longer continuously reboots, just goes to a black screen. Any help is appreciated.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Which of the 2 BIOS updates was applied? The older or newer version. I assume both were for the system itself and not for one of the other devices. If that isn't correct, what were the updates specifically for?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sorry, but it seems you now have a dead system board (motherboard). Several sources indicate this.

To verify, search on these terms: thinkpad beep codes 5 beeps

Seems the only fix is to replace the motherboard.