Black screen, not KSOD

sikewrdpryznr

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
I have been trying to fix my uncles computer for weeks now and just can't seem to get it fixed permanently. It's a toshiba L305D-S5928. It's running windows vista x86.

The problem it's having is while you're using it the screen will go black. It'll show some back light but nothing will bring the screen back on. It doesn't do this right away or in any way is it persistent. Sometimes it'll be fine for 30 minutes after a reboot, sometimes it's 5 minutes.

I have tried everything I know of, I know that sometimes the UAC will mess up so I disabled that, I have done a clean install of Vista several times, only thing on it right now would be the drivers so no other programs would be the issue.

Again to be clear, it's not the "black screen of death", it will let you log in and use the computer for some time before the screen goes blank. Any and all help will be appreciated, thank you!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First to try is to uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to the graphics card driver.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver.
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do observe if the same problem will persist or not.
- If the same problem will persist do connect an external monitor and observe if it will also go black when your laptop screen does.
- If it stay on while the laptop screen is black that could mean that the LCD of your laptop is faulty already.

sikewrdpryznr

Commendable
Jun 14, 2016
Hooking up a second monitor did cause it to go blank also, so that means it was the driver. So I've done the steps up to installing the driver again. It seems that it's working fine. I don't want to install the same driver so I'm kinda stuck. Toshiba's site only has 2 drivers but they are both labeled the same.

I found one off another website by looking up one of the product numbers. I am going to try that one and will report back.