Black Screen Of Death

May 15, 2018
I was doing some work and downloading some files on my 5 year old Windows 8.1 ASUS laptop when i got a blue screen of death due to the Kernel Data Inpage Error. It restarted normally, took me to another screen. Gray and blue colours. You had the options to change the date and time, change the boot manner, etc. I went over to the "Save and Exit" option, pressed enter. The laptop restarted and took me to the same screen.
I shut it down and set it aside to cool down for a few minutes. Started it up again and it took me to another screen, this time it was light blue, same pallette as the BSOD. It wrote something about fixing or diagnosing the laptop for any errors. I pressed enter and it took me to another screen which said that I had an important file missing from the system, which I do not remember the name of. I pressed the Try Again option a few times but the same screen showed up.
I took out every cable that was connected to the laptop, and restarted it. This time it booted up normally, except that after the login a KSOD appeared. Tried pressing ctrl+alt+del, didn't work. I restarted it again and tried pressing F8+shift. I did so numerous times, but nothing happened. Ever since i do not have a password for my user, the laptop automatically logs in, so I do not have the option to restart or shut it down.
Now it is important to note that I was downloading files, and might've downloaded a virus along with them. But I do have an antivirus that warns me about potential malware, and I was downloading files that I had downloaded before and they didnt cause me any issues back then.
I still think that the problem might be due to malware, but I'd like to hope that it is something fixable, or at least something that has to do with the RAM or hard drive. As I said, I had the laptop for about 4-5 years, so it might be its time to give way.
It'd be nice if there was a way to at least recover some data though.
Thank you for any help.

Edit: after a few seconds on the KSOD the message "The application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait.
Do you want to end this process?" appears with the options "End Process" and "Wait". I have pressed "End Process" and it doesnt do anything. I have also tried ctrl+alt+del and ir has worked. I havent tried anything further.

Solution
It sounds like your laptops HDD is acting up.
When it boots to the bios, see if the HDD is detected.
If it boots to the Diagnostics screen, try running a test on it. Might was well run all the tests but not the stress tests (yet).

popatim

Splendid
It sounds like your laptops HDD is acting up.
When it boots to the bios, see if the HDD is detected.
If it boots to the Diagnostics screen, try running a test on it. Might was well run all the tests but not the stress tests (yet).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS