Black Screen When Entering BIOS

foyenas

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
Hello, everyone.

Today I tried to access BIOS for the first time since buying this laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 710S-13IKB).
And several times through different methods - by the F12 button, through Advanced Startup menu, - all I got is a black screen where BIOS should have been. I had to power down my PC to get out of it.

Aside from getting a black screen (with backlight on, fans working and the PC still powered up) in place of the BIOS, the laptop works normally. Windows 10 boots up and everything.

Below is the info from System Summary which might be relevant to the issue I am facing:

Model: Lenovo ideapad 710S-13IKB

BIOS version/date: LENOVO 3HCN13WW, 17-Oct-16
SMBIOS Version: 3.0
Embedded Controller Version: 1.07
BIOS mode: UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer: LENOVO
BaseBoard Model: Not Available
BaseBoard Name: Base Board

Several things from different threads of people having similar issues:
1. It can be an issue with the BIOS disliking the native screen resolution. People suggested connecting the device to an external display. However, my laptop has a mini-HDMI port and I've no mini-HDMI->HDMI adapter, as well as difficulty getting an external display.
2. Many suggest a BIOS reset. It is the worst option available to me since I will have great difficulty disassembling the laptop, and I'm not even sure if I can access the motherboard safely at all.

As undesirable as both options are, I need this issue fixed.
Currently, I'm at a loss as to what my course of action should be in this specific situation. Perhaps there are more checks I should do, or probable solutions which won't involve gutting my laptop.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Thanh Hai Nguyen Laptop Tech Support 1
Franznathan Laptop Tech Support 0
battlesqui_d Laptop Tech Support 1
ankvaria Laptop Tech Support 0
ftothn Laptop Tech Support 5
Jekzo Laptop Tech Support 0
B Laptop Tech Support 0
Z Laptop Tech Support 0
L Laptop Tech Support 1
Zubinm Laptop Tech Support 1
Romanio0089 Laptop Tech Support 5