black screen wont boot bios failure

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
I have a Hp pavillion dv4-5113 notebook with a bios caps lock flash error code (2 times). It was very hard to boot it. I used a usb keyboard and after a lot of tries I got the advanced options menu as the machine had an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 free and tried to reset it, tried to access safemode, it failed. Tried automatic repair, got in a never ending loop . Also tried start up menu to roll back the bios but it failed.
The last time I got lucky and got desktop but Win system applications were malfuctioning like device manager. I got a bios update in a usb pen drive and tried to flash it . It looked that is was working but after that I got a restart loop that lasted for one a half hours. I was tired and mad and took out the battery because the notebook wont shutdown...mistake. Now I got a black screen , it wont boot and it wont turn off, it keeps turning on also the HDD led is amber and always on. I went to the support page and it looks that the 3d drive guard got activated but following all the procedures on the support page to disable it wont work. Finally now the caps lock flashes only one time showing a possible cpu malfuction. Is it the cpu, mother board or bios chip? Please help and sorry for my bad writing.

Good day.

Solution
I used very cheap heatgun from china : GJ-8018 it has LCD and some options for temperature. It was decent when i had to remove chips (bios chips, capacitors and resistors, not BGA chips) from the board, but make sure to buy multiple nozzles with decent sizes. It was about 30 euros. More professional reflow you need a station which is expensive.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Its probably the one close to that large chip what says ITE. Right 2nd chip from it. But cant say for sure yet. Need model number you need to check it with magnifying glass and alcohol like i explained earlier

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

Hello again Mr Faggeti.

Here are some fresh pics
cold be possible bios eeproms
I goggled them and are bios flash related :

macronix MXIC 25L800GE M1I 12 G

RT9045 GSPECL1E

WINBOND 25032BV51G 1215

0195 G547F1 - this one I really don't know.

I have others but they appear to be mosfets or something that has to do with another type of IC's if I'm correct.

The MB number is 676756 -001 951280 and has a sticker of the Insyde H2o Bios .. I think.

Well , thank you for your assistance and good day.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
Ok
Ill check again the board for those numbers.

The other day I was reading about a oem number that the board has with the hardware specs or settings that has to be program into the bios after repair so maybe is what your talking about the stickers.

Thanx

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
you can use dmifit to reprogram this info if bios fix issue, you need these (copy from other site) :

Serial Number: enter the serial number written at the bottom of the laptop (S/N)
Notebook Model: model of our notebook (eg. HP Compaq G61)
GUID Number: you can leave it unchanged
UUID Number: select “1” and will be generated automatically
SKU Number: is the Product Number that tou find at the bottom of the laptop
CTO Localization Code: ABA
MAC ADDRESS: you can put one at random
PCID: you find this code under the battery, written in a white label
System Board CT #: you can leave it unchanged

But this will fix issue 40% change... still like 50% change its amd chip and you need to do reflow, or get new motherboard. I hope its bios.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
Hello Mr. Fagetti!
I'm back. sorry I was away for a while.
Recently I got the ch341a and the Soic clip.

I installed the spi software from a youtube link and installed the ch341 drivers.
It works but I try to read the winbond chip and it looks like its reading it but it doesnt show any numbers or data. Its just a bunch of F's and from what I researched ob youtube it looks like the chip is empty or the Soic clip its not reading well. Anyway
I got the driver with the latest bios update but its and application file and I need a bin file in order to the spi software to work. I tried to extract it with uniextract but I dont get the bin file for the bios driver.
Any suggestions?
I did'nt contact you first because I found this thread today.

thank you
good day

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
dmifit is just a configuration utility, if you succesfully flash bios file which has no serial number or other info which you need to later inject. Dont worry about it now.

Remember to always remove cmos battery before trying to read or flash chip.

1. And now about bios file, try read the chip and if it succesfully reads it ( remmebr pin1 must be correct place when attaching soic!) save the bios file and look what size it is.

2. Sometimes the file you download from HP site is not full bios file and its only update which means its size is smaller (example file you have on chip is 4mb and file you download from HP site is 2mb. It needs to be same size.

I downloaded with your model number (recheck with your exact model number that its correct) and after extracting the installation file with winrar i got file 01837.fd this is your bios file just rename its extension .fd to .bin and your set.

This file is 5.6mb in size, when you succesfully read your bios chip and check its file size it must be exactly same 5.6mb. If its larger then you need to find exact bios dump file from internet.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
Hello man!

I already have this file.
I changed to .bin and here are some pics of what I did.
I placed the Soic in in pin one a couple of times buy the spi showed only FF and no data but I think my last try was successful, it showed 0's. I included some pics of how I placed the soic clip into the programmer. I think the correct way is with the pin 1 clip facing the zif lever.

Also I opened the driver bin file and there was a notification that it was too big. Finely I saved the output from the soic on a file but I did not burned the driver because I wanted to be sure I'm doing it right.

Here are the pics:

thanx brother

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
I have actually no idea which way it should be (never used a soic clip myself). im sure you will find somewhere info on this. You can try connecting pcb (green pcb in picture 2) which connects to usb programmer different ways, example flip it other way around also.

Never had corrupted bios only written zeros so i think something is wrong here. Remember to chip search W25Q32BVSIG and then read, this way you dont need to use automatic detection which can mess things up.

When you get this message "file length beyond" do you get it while reading chip or when you add your new bios file to the software? If it happens on the latter then file is too large for the chip, what size is your .bin file?

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
Hello

The info that I have is that pin one of the SOIC clip has to be facing the ZIF lever of the programmer. The only reading that shows activity is the one with zeros. If I turn the clip the other way it shows F's and the internet source states that F's indicates no data.

When I load the driver to the software it outputs the message "file length beyond:". The file size is 5.6 MB and the chip reading says that it has only 4 MB of space. I don't know if its the correct setup/ read for the right Winbond chip. I have another Bios driver of a previous version f.34 and it's the same size as the one I'n trying to program.

I recorded the chip's reading just in case.

The search on the SPI software about the Winbond chip only has a setup for W25Q32BU without the SIG letters that by the way, I don't know the meaning.

I did't record to the chip because I want to be sure.

I can find the Bios chip on the internet new and programmed for 20 bucks but I want to see if I can fix it.

thanx for your support.