black screen wont boot bios failure

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
I have a Hp pavillion dv4-5113 notebook with a bios caps lock flash error code (2 times). It was very hard to boot it. I used a usb keyboard and after a lot of tries I got the advanced options menu as the machine had an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 free and tried to reset it, tried to access safemode, it failed. Tried automatic repair, got in a never ending loop . Also tried start up menu to roll back the bios but it failed.
The last time I got lucky and got desktop but Win system applications were malfuctioning like device manager. I got a bios update in a usb pen drive and tried to flash it . It looked that is was working but after that I got a restart loop that lasted for one a half hours. I was tired and mad and took out the battery because the notebook wont shutdown...mistake. Now I got a black screen , it wont boot and it wont turn off, it keeps turning on also the HDD led is amber and always on. I went to the support page and it looks that the 3d drive guard got activated but following all the procedures on the support page to disable it wont work. Finally now the caps lock flashes only one time showing a possible cpu malfuction. Is it the cpu, mother board or bios chip? Please help and sorry for my bad writing.

Good day.

Solution
I used very cheap heatgun from china : GJ-8018 it has LCD and some options for temperature. It was decent when i had to remove chips (bios chips, capacitors and resistors, not BGA chips) from the board, but make sure to buy multiple nozzles with decent sizes. It was about 30 euros. More professional reflow you need a station which is expensive.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

I just registered on bad caps and I have a watch on ebay a pre owned processor for 25 bucks just in case. I have soldering iron and will check the link about it that you posted. I have used the iron a little but It takes a while to heat up because it's old. I didn't want to get to this point because it's a friends notebook and I have to be careful. I'll try again with the SOIC tomorrow to see if I can get a different read and will keep searching for the 4MB bios dump file.

thx.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
I hope you can figure it out with the soic clip. If it fails take a close up picture of the bios chip, so we see if there is small components near by you need to be careful, its all over if you lift one of those. just fill 4 legs with solder so they connect, then 4 legs on the other side same thing. then apply heat fast on other side, then again fast on other side. With tweezers you should be able to lift it. Dont use any force when you lift chip to not rip pads off motherboard, just use enough heat and be careful not to touch other components.

Check aliexpress also you can find used probably in 15-20$ range.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

I used a magnifying glass to verify the Soic clip contacts and I got a different read, I think I got it now. Here's the link for the winbond read.

I have glasses and my vision fails me sometimes.

Thanks for the video but I already saw it when I got the programmer, the audio is very bad but its easy to understand.

I'm still looking for the dump file for free, if not I will have to pay for the download also I'm waiting for permission to post in that site you recomended.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Yes this is a correct read, save this file to your computer if you need to program it back incase bios isnt the problem. This means you can flash the bios when have right file. Multimeter is a good tool to see if contacts hold up.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

Ok good
My multimeter is damaged I'll get another one soon

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

Do you think when I took out the notebook battery during the restart loop it caused an MB short?

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
It will not damage the motherboard but if you where flashing bios and did that then it can cause bricked bios / ec bios. Atleast not on older HP laptops its very hard to short the pins when removing battery.
Just program the bios first when you get the file, no need to get new multimeter before that. How long you have to wait in bad caps forum? I havent logged in for years but can check if my account is still valid.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

You are right man. I didn't know what a bricked bios was and I google it and that's it man. I made the thread on Bad Caps asking for the dump file and explaining the situation.
thanx.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

Yes, I have searching on google but the sites that I have found until now ask for a paid membership to download, maybe is my region. I have a couple of posts, will keep looking for the dump and will reply as soon as I get it.

thanx
good day

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
Hey Man!
It' done. The bios programming was a success, I got desktop but.....

I'm back to the beginning.

1. First I got a bios checksum error and then it booted.

2. Caps lock flash 2 times then pause - possible bios error code but I got boot, maybe it could be a defective keyboard or bad keyboard driver, possible Win 10 update failure, the machine is Win 7 OEM.

3. Recovery D partition full error - could it be Win 7 and Win 10 stuff all cluttered in the recovery partition?

4. Laptop battery is not charging, it has been almost 4 months since I booted the laptop.

First , I disconnected the laptop keyboard and used a USB keboard and it booted very fast and it worked, that's why I'm suspecting a bad laptop keyboard of a corrupted driver. I uninstalled the driver and replaced the OEM keyboard back and it took a lot to boot and the result was a caps lock 2 times code and unresponsive keyboard.

Well, I'm thinking to make a factory reset back to good old Win 7 to be sure.

What do you think about the recovery partition full error? Is it common in Win 10 upgrades?

Thanx a lot man
this is a great advance.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018
NO OS FOUND.

After the reset the OS is gone.
Well, I suppose everything was corrupted and there's the result.

I will try to install Win & home premium back, if i can find the COA first, the sticker is damaged.
This is another thread in this forum.

I want to thank Mr Fagetti for his continuous help in this trouble shoot, kudos to you.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
No please im here to help. You also used dmifit to inject serial number etc? I guess because it will give error on boot if you didnt.

Use only USB keyboard and test with bootable operating system like tails or ubuntu. If everything works fine then there was multiple problems with the laptop. Caps lock blink 2 times on this model is not OS related, i also never had 2blink because of defective keyboard but this could be first one.

You will get bios checksum error when you remove cmos battery and everything in bios goes to default settings, if it happens constantly and not only on your first boot after repair this means something else than that.

If you boot fast only with removed internal keyboard and with usb keyboard then it might be defective.
Download bootable LIVECD operating system, you can use USB or DVD to run it. Two linux operating systems i tested with are tails and ubuntu. Ubuntu is faster to get running. If everything is working well (use usb keyboard) with this operating system then your Operating system was corrupted and your internal keyboard is defective.

EDIT: battery might either be dead or something wrong with the motherboard / bios. Is it original battery?

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

Yes, I thought of using Ubuntu to test it.
I recorded the bios dump and booted the machine without the dmifit serial, is it necessary? It seemed to boot without it.

When I got the machine it had that caps lock flash 2 times then pause code, in the HP support page is classified as a bios corruption error and I started my trouble shooting based on that, after all this time I think is just a defective keyboard.
The owner is a headbanger drunk and he told me that now and then a "couple" of rum drops got into the keyboard, also when I took it was full of hair and dirt. That is why I think the keyboard shorted.

The COA sticker on the bottom case of the machine is broken and I don't have the key. I look for it on the battery compartment and is not there either.. I don't have the Win 7 Home Premium rescue disk, the owner never made them.

The machine had a free Win 10 upgrade so it must have a digital key but I don't know the Microsoft Account.

I will have to install Ubuntu, it's my best shot right now.

Do you think the Win 10 upgrade was the cause of the damage to this machine?

Thanx

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Win10 upgrade wont cause damage to any hardware. If you can boot to windows ( even safe mode ) download produkey, search it on google. It will show your windows activation key.

If you cant boot to windows, remove the hard drive from the laptop , download produkey and follow these instructions : https://www.howtogeek.com/64600/how-to-recover-windows-and-software-keys-from-a-broken-computer/

So you need a hdd docking station or hdd cable to usb. And working computer to use produkey to recover windows activation key from corrupted HDD.

mrbits2018

Great
Mar 15, 2018

Ok, I have the hdd caddy and cable, Ill try that wit produkey but is just that the factory reset to Win 7 Home Premium failed and now after post it can't find it.
II guess i need a Win 7 ISO to make a bootable usb, or If I want Win 10 back ill download the Windows media creation tool.
Ill do that

About Win 10, when it was launched as a free upgrade, many users complained that it won run as fast as the OEM Windows build and brought a lot of troubles specially with drivers and it cluttered the hard drive with continuous backups. My opinion is that old machines, specially laptops / notebooks, should run with their OEM Windows install as long as updates are available.
thank you