Blizzard: Working on Consoles "At Some Point"

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Actually, Starcraft Ghost was close to coming out, but if the game doesn't meet their standards they won't release it. That I think is a good thing. As much as I wanted to play SC G, if it sucked then it would have sullied Blizzard's name forever.

Honestly, I like PC games. The best games tend to be released on it, so I basically I know before hand whether the game is worth playing or not, just by what platform its on.

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
[citation][nom]MrHectorEric[/nom]If Blizzard ever tried to develop for consoles, the next generation console would be out before they finished their game.[/citation]

Case and point: starcraft ghost.

Distinct

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I swear... people just love to bitch and complain about Blizzard! But please continue, I actually love it and laugh at it, now... I'll bitch and complain about ignorance! :)

[citation][nom]Arglebargle[/nom]Don't kid yourself. Blizzard won't release any non-WoW products until that cash cow is a withered husk.[/citation]

It started withering 3 years after the release... but what would you know? You probably never played the game, let alone played it when it first released. And btw... what exactly is wrong with a company supporting a game and releasing new content? Especially when there's 11 million people subscribed at $15 a month. I guess some people just don't realize that this world revolves around making money.

Look at it this way... compile a list of games Blizzard has released, including expansions and sequels. Now, compile a list of some of the most popular games(PC & Console) in the past 15 years including their sequels and expansions and compare the lists! Please, someone make this list!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Distinct[/nom]I swear... people just love to bitch and complain about Blizzard! But please continue, I actually love it and laugh at it, now... I'll bitch and complain about ignorance!
It started withering 3 years after the release... but what would you know? You probably never played the game, let alone played it when it first released. And btw... what exactly is wrong with a company supporting a game and releasing new content? Especially when there's 11 million people subscribed at $15 a month. I guess some people just don't realize that this world revolves around making money.Look at it this way... compile a list of games Blizzard has released, including expansions and sequels. Now, compile a list of some of the most popular games(PC & Console) in the past 15 years including their sequels and expansions and compare the lists! Please, someone make this list![/citation]

actually sir you said the dumbest thing i ever heard ... WoW didnt start withering after 3 years .. year one , it had about 4 million players, year 2 it got around 6 milion , year 3 it was at 7 million players , it currently stands at 11 milion players like you said .. so between year 3 at 7 million players and now it has grown by 5 million players , i hardly call that "withering" ... think before you speak

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Why waist your time makeing games for PC's???? You could sell 7X the games on consoles and not have to deal with all the Support needed for PC's. 70 percent of all Pc's aren't gameing Pc's, their internet browsers, most of them struggle with anything that has multiple moveing objects. Plus you have to spend all that time adding support for the 20 different graphic's cards, sound cards and game controllers. With consoles it's one and done, much easier and more profitable.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Why waist your time makeing games for PC's???? You could sell 7X the games on consoles and not have to deal with all the Support needed for PC's. 70 percent of all Pc's aren't gameing Pc's, their internet browsers, most of them struggle with anything that has multiple moveing objects. Plus you have to spend all that time adding support for the 20 different graphic's cards, sound cards and game controllers. With consoles it's one and done, much easier and more profitable.[/citation]

Have you played Blizzard games? They typically are designed to play on those non-gaming machines. They have to worry about making it run on all sorts of different computers, as they design it for the low end, and the high end computers just fall into place.

Blizard has never pushed the envolope with hardware, instead they have always focused on story, artistic work and polishing everything they make.

It's easier to simply write the program with standard API calls that all computers share (it's the driver companies that have to worry about every different card, not the game), and that's it. If you go into consoles, then they have to write for 3 different platforms.

Blizard isn't Crytek, they don't push hardware.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
@Two posts above - Not to mention none of their games would fit a controller very well, either. Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is similar what Diablo would be, and while it was alright, it wasn't what Diablo is. And their other games are RTS games, which we've seen the result of on consoles, and never has it been really good. And lastly, World of Warcraft, which... Well, dunno. Similar to Dragon Age, I suppose, except a lot of networking that I'm not sure consoles can handle. The PS3 might be able to, maybe, with a lot of work, but I don't think the 360 could. But even then, issues with control, probably.

Blizzard games (thus far) are made for the PC.

mutantmagnet

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"e're a culture of gamers. We will definitely work on a console game at some point. I have no doubt about that. It's just [a matter of] what game. What makes the most sense?"

Here's an idea: revive StarCraft Ghost. That makes sense."

So your suggestion to get Blizzard into consoles is to redo a game from a genre that is still better on a pc than the console?

*shakes head*

xpax

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Blizzard is one of the few companies that actually get it: all games on PC are better, without exception. Unfortunately, you have no real input methods available on consoles. Until the console makers begin to understand reality and include a keyboard/mouse, Blizzard will remain on PC.

To this day, nobody has done an MMO or RTS on a console successfully. There have been some amusing attempts, but alas the amusement ends before the game starts.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]MrHectorEric[/nom]If Blizzard ever tried to develop for consoles, the next generation console would be out before they finished their game.[/citation]Now you're getting to the heart of the matter! The last good console game to come out of this company involved Vikings who were Lost...

Unless you count lackluster ports.

alex35143

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
If consoles were to support mouse/keyboard then ATI-Nvidia would die. why would I spend $300-$500 on a videocard alone when I can buy a console for $300 and use it with my HDMI LCD monitor and a USB KVM switch. I would also rather play games while sitting on my desk instead of the couch. I'm sure videocard companies have some kind of deal with MS and Sony to not have this support enabled.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]alex35143[/nom]If consoles were to support mouse/keyboard then ATI-Nvidia would die. why would I spend $300-$500 on a videocard alone when I can buy a console for $300 and use it with my HDMI LCD monitor and a USB KVM switch. I would also rather play games while sitting on my desk instead of the couch. I'm sure videocard companies have some kind of deal with MS and Sony to not have this support enabled.[/citation]

no..... they have deals with MS and Sony to MAKE VIDEO CARDS FOR THEIR CONSOLES...

also, I think unreal tournament 3 lets you use keyboard and mouse on the PS3, thing is, its hard to use these thing anywhere else other than a desk. also, lets not forget that your $300-$500 graphics card would be 10 to 20 times more powerful than the ones inside the consoles, so its not a complete ripoff. however yeah, I wish they let you use keyboard and mouse too, I can't play FPSs or RTSs with a controller. but I still wish developers would continue pushing the boundaries of PC power so we get a steadily increasing level of detail, like the good old days, rather than now, where we just get a big shot up in detail, then it stays the same for like 5 years.

as for blizzard making a console game? feel free! I have nothing against that! just don't sell out and ditch the platform that made you big. like certain war FPSs makers that will remain nameless...

Status
Not open for further replies.