Blizzard Working on In-Game Store for World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Honorable
May 8, 2012
as long as it is not pay to win, its a fair idea, especially if it pushed the game to free2play, that is about the only thing that would have me return to the game

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Has worked really well in The Secret World MMO. No buy to win Items, so as long as they stick to that it will work out well. I buy items all the time that add to my experience. I don't mind some boosts even XP. Most are no different than the ones i could farm or buy on the ingame auction. But i just don't enjoy the crafting side, and making enugh money to buy with ingame cash. So paying real money is a great option. Although the secret world gives bonus in game money each month to people who subscribe (As it's F2P), so since i pay a subscription, it's kind of free. haha.

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013
"Blizzard just became too greedy.

I just wanted to play game to enjoy - but maybe not Blizzard games anymore. "

If greedy means trying to run a successful business, then sure.

Blizzard is just trying to maintain a proven business model. The fact is that $15 a month isn't really that steep, especially considering what some people shell out for services like XBox Gold and PS Plus anyways. Additional purchasable content is a welcome addition for many player, and can be a solid enhancement to play. Things like pets, mounts, and experience buffs don't affect the gameplay of other players, so why not make some cash off of it. There's nothing you'd have to pay for that you HAVE to have in order to play the game, and a player with a large real world bankroll isn't going to have any leg up over players who just go with the basic subscription. I would be more concerned if Blizz went to a fully F2P model, because then it would be far more likely that they would start charging for content that is either required to play or gives you an advantage over other players. A major example I see would be if Blizz started selling gold for cash, which I think is an absolute inevitability if WoW goes F2P. This would wreck the in-game economy and I would jump ship almost immediately.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Somehow, i doubt anyone is surprised by that.
I never liked WoW myself as it felt like playing with toys rather than with real characters (i went the guild wars way when WoW and GW first started out), but this is clearly a way to get some extra cash before closing down WoW when people start leaving the game.

Lucky me that Starcraft Broodwar was done before all this crap and i can still play it on LAN and on private servers, so that i actually own what i paid for.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
It is a step down that slippery slope to pay-to-win, and one more reason for me to leave the game for good. And, I'm not the only one, there's a thread on the WoW forums talking about an experience buff potion that would sell through the in-game store that was 129 pages long last I looked at it - most of those people expressed similar sentiments.

Experience buff potion. Like being able to level to cap in less than a week isn't fast enough already. Just freakin quit the pretense and give everyone level-capped characters already.

They are apparently never going to get it; millions of people have quit because the game has become too simplified, and they are still trying to make it easier for the "casual" player. Fine, if you are going to choose "casual" (and never has a word been more corrupted in its meaning) over me, I'll just choose "Everquest Next" over you. EQ has the in-game store crap, but at least the game isn't a pure snooze to level up to begin with.

I'm getting the distinct impression that my days playing MMOGs are numbered, I don't even have that much hope for EQN. It's supposed to be "more sandox-like" than EQII, but it's also supposed to be F2P (depending on who you believe), and F2P players don't care for sandbox MMOGs (generally speaking of course).

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
LotRO went this way and it's great. I can pay for convience, rare mounts, etc. Or not. I don't buy XP buffs because I like the content which is sufficient to level up on but I don't have any problem with those who do use them.

You do have to buy expansions but I prefer that over monthly fees.

Hope this works for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.