Blockbuster Auctions Itself Off; Any Takers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurboura

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I bet you that CEO is still making tons of money.

Let Blockbuster die. It's lived it's life, they were too stubborn to change with the times, they deserve it.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I went to rent videos at a mom and pop shop. Then blockbuster took over and then they went out of business. I didn't have a choice but to go to blockbuster at the time. Then came Netflix. I stop going to blockbuster a long time ago. Now in my area it is closing down, because the rent went up on the lease so the owner is not renewing the lease. So, there is no more brick and mortal stores around. Just Red Box and of course movies on-line.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Yeah, I buy used movies there from time to time. But honestly I've even turned more toward MovieStop for that.

I'm not much into streaming movies. I'd rather have the hardware but, I'm a dying breed.
As far as renting movies... there's no advantage in renting rather than streaming so why rent?

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Rather than closing stores they should have just lowered their prices. Blockbuster has always been far more expensive than our local Hasting's Entertainment.

erick81

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Just let it die, my experience with Blockbuster has been nothing short of terrible I was charged late fees on things I never rented a bunch of times had something to do with them issuing me the same account number as someone else it took them three months to figure it out.Just about a week ago I went in to rent my niece a game and they told me I had to reconfirm my credit card on my account so I gave them my debit card the one that I used to open the account and the lady wouldn't take it she said they only take credit cards I chuckled abit and told her I didn't think her company had enough blood in it's vains to be picky about how I pay.I went back to the house an opened a gamefly account probably should have done it sooner.It sucks because on an impulse you could just go and rent whatever but it always comes with a hassle with Netflix and Gamefly I can't get the physical data right away but it's always hassle free.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Blockbuster closed down well before Video Easy did in my area where I live & Video Easy has been closed down for well over 6 months now...Redroom is the only video hire place now that is still opened...

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Also as the years have gone by,I have noticed that in many of the nearby suburbs that Blockbuster once was sited,they have usually closed first out of all the major & the minor Video Hire outlets...

G

The free market and consumers have spoken. Blockbuster failed to keep pace with trends and technology and has suffered the consequences. And, to think it once was approached by Netflix, with the latter company offering itself for sale for a song ($50 million or so).

Maybe Obama and the Democrats will deem Blockbuster to be "too big to fail" and too valuable in terms of unionized employee votes, and arrange for a taxpayer bailout, or government acquisition, as with GM and Chrysler. Stranger things have happened.

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I use Blockbuster Online for the sole reason that I signed up six years ago when it was relatively new, and it offered more services than NetFlix. Well, they aren't allowed to raise my monthly fee, so I still pay 20 bucks per month for their unlimited plan, which now goes for $40/month or something outrageous.

I like the fact that I can take my return envelope into the Blockbuster store 5 minutes from my house and get a free movie. Instant gratification. I tend to get 6-10 movies per week which is like twice what I could ever watch, so my dvd ripper and hard drives see a lot of use :)

Now, things would be different if NetFlix offered every movie for streaming. But since their streaming library is (so far) pretty small, and Blockbuster still gets a lot of new releases a month before NetFlix, I'm sticking with Blockbuster for now.

Hopefully my "grandfather" price plan will stay in effect after Blockbuster is sold...

Status
Not open for further replies.