Blockbuster Closing 500 More Locations, Optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
We live in a digital world now. With services such as netflix and hulu, there is very little need for renting physical movies, and when you do rent physical movies you can get them for a dollar a night at redbox.

Checkmate.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
The digital distribution age is here... This is no shocker.

Soon we will only rent movies via digital download. (except those of us who torrent)

Anonymousca4

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I really hate netflix and blockbuster so I dont care but if smaller vedio stores close I will be very upset at netflix

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]leo2kp[/nom]If I didn't have to pay $6 to rent a DVD maybe I'd go there more...[/citation]
Exactly. The Blockbuster around my place charges $5.26 including tax for one new release video. They have the $1.99 rental racks but who wants to even pay $1.99 for a 3+ year old DVD that can be bought outright for less than $5 at Walmart? Blockbuster has it all WRONG. They can do business but just be competitive. Just greedy. I've also had Blockbuster movie packages that include movie by mail but even with that, NetFlix is much better by mail. At this point I feel pretty spoiled... NetFlix - 3 movies at a time for $15/mo, TIVO HD for $13/mo, and Cable HD for $65/mo. I'd actually have Blockbuster in my list of must haves but again when they want to spank me with a $5+ movie rental charge... there are better alternatives. Make all the movies under $3 and you have a winner.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Even small cable companies have tv/movies on demand now i live in NE Ontario and you can rent a movie without getting off your couch having to warm up the card driving to blockbuster and pay $7 a movie?.

Now its press 1 button on remote navigate movie menu and hit play movie downloads to digital cable box for $5.99 and stays there for 24 hrs.

Blockbuster had plans to do this but cable companies beat them too it.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]We live in a digital world now. With services such as netflix and hulu, there is very little need for renting physical movies, and when you do rent physical movies you can get them for a dollar a night at redbox. Checkmate.[/citation]

Yep... kinda sad to see all the empty locations and know that people lost their jobs but... the last time I went to blockbuster, it was like $5+ to rent a movie.

If there's something I want to see, I goto the redbox website and reserve it at a local redbox. go.. swipe my card and that's it.

wbogart

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I just want to know what locations are closing. I figure I can hit them up for some cheap video games on their way out!!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]What color would shocked be? red? Pink? Blue? White?[/citation]

One might argue that white is not a color, but its actually ALL colors. I can tell you with certainy however, that it won't be black.

ghaleon1980

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
It's funny how the BluRay supporters and Playstation 3 fanboys keep saying that "digital distribution is years away!" Blah blah. This is proof that digital distrbution is here and is going to wipe out physical media. Please stop denying the obvious

Status
Not open for further replies.