Blockbuster Closing up to 960 Stores

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rawirig

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
lol, here in new zealand the internet is too slow to even stream sd movies :p and plus we have internet caps :( i'm on the biggest plan which only offers 40gb of downloads. i still rent dvds for better quality and not having to wait around. ;)

G

Hollywood Video already succumbed to the closing disaster. They had well over 50 stores in the Atlanta metro area and now they're left with a little under 10.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rawirig[/nom]lol, here in new zealand the internet is too slow to even stream sd movies and plus we have internet caps i'm on the biggest plan which only offers 40gb of downloads. i still rent dvds for better quality and not having to wait around.[/citation]

I keep being used to the US being compared to european and other countries where our internet is considered slow. But internet caps? I'd break a limit that small in the blink of an eye. Even when my speed was still locked at 1.5 Mbps. They really need to work on that, internet's pretty important. It's definitely something I'd look at if I were considering changing countries.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]...or more and more people are watching illegal crappy copies instead of renting/purchasing.Not good.[/citation]
Illegal crappy copies? Hmmm odd because I have never rented a DVD that didn't skip, yet the mkv files i download are perfect copies... So these rental rip-off places can all go bankrupt for what I care because they're obsolete and unreliable in providing their customers with quality merchandise.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
The one thing blockbuster style places had that red-box didn't was the collection of slightly older copies. Too bad they were usually beat the shreds by that time, and were STILL overpriced. Automotive wasn't the only industry to eat it hard due to not keeping up with the times.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Killed by Red Box. $1 daily rentals.

Theres 2 of my corners (1 on each side).... go figure.
Theres 2 units in every grocery store in my area too.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
If i remember correctly, the main reason our family stopped renting from blockbusters is simply because they charge significantly more for their rentals than a corner rental store.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]...or more and more people are watching illegal crappy copies instead of renting/purchasing.Not good.[/citation]
Crappy?
Normal television: 420p
Normal rip:420p-720p
Colour and audio are also in the same range, so often, a better product is recieved.

I know those 700MB rips are better quality than even the so called "high deffinition" my cable provider gives me...

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]rawirig[/nom]lol, here in new zealand the internet is too slow to even stream sd movies and plus we have internet caps i'm on the biggest plan which only offers 40gb of downloads. i still rent dvds for better quality and not having to wait around.[/citation]
I'm from a former communist country (Czech Republic) and here you can get unlimited cable TV 10/1.5Mbit (REAL!) internet for about $27/month (first four months are at half that price), about $20 startup price and you don't have to have a TV plan at all.
And I thought we were still burdened by monopolies of the old era... Guess it must be all those European regulations that many bitch about.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
OLD.NEWS

About 1/2 of the stores in Chicago have been closing for the last six months. It's pretty noticeable if you live in a major metro area.

mt2in

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hopefully a blockbuster in my neighborhood closes, it'll make room for walgreens to go up across from rite aid! Or maybe a jiffy lube! Or a massage parlor!

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I've been using Zip, here in Canada, for about half a year now. For 25$ a month, getting DVD/Blu-Rays 3 at a time, by mail. They got huge selection. Best thing ever. Having bad memories about blockbluster and how much I had to pay them...

Status
Not open for further replies.