Blu-ray Beats Recession; Sales Up 91 Percent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Household penetration of HDTVs in the U.S. is at approximately 44 million[/citation]
Let's keep the household penetration to a minimum, please. The kids are watching.

Platypus, thanks for my laugh of the day.

As for Blueray:

I already abhor paying $20-23 for a new release on dvd..
why would I buy blueray for $25-30+?

Most of my dvds I purchased for $5-15. The only blueray I own is Underworld3, and that is only because they were offering it for $1 more than the standard dvd.

Sales might be up but the prices still need to come down; $30 or more for a new release is rediculous. If they could compete with dvd prices (again, for new movies) I might end up purchasing more BD's instead.

As for quality.. upscaling on my ps3, or BD.. I notice a difference but it is not worth the extra money (at least to me)

e_sandrs

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
roofus:

TemjinGold :
Up 91 percent? What's that like, 5 more Blurays sold?

lol thats what I was thinking too

I prefer: Bluerays - now more than 4% of home entertainment! (4.18%, to be precise)

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
LOL this article is such crap. Keep your alternative motive to yourself. Blu-Ray will not out pace DVD, ever. And Digital Download is coming on strong. Blu-ray was the biggest LOSS for consumers since DVI televisions.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]krashnicki[/nom]The new version of the 5th Element is much much better then the original Blu-Ray release. The first release was a joke. This new version is worth the upgrade.[/citation]
Sweet, so consumers can spend 80 bucks for the same movie they had on DVD? (if they bought the crappy one and then want the good one). Blu-Ray can kiss my arse, HD-DVD was the exact same thing, just way cheaper. Plus the DVD/HD-DVD combo is/was super sweet.

I would be curious to see the sales from Amazon on their HD-DVD movies

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]The drop of Blu-ray some movies (by discounts) (some go as low as $10-$14) definitely have some boost on the Blu-ray sales. Even the bestbuy has quite a few Blu-ray movies at the price range of $10s every week.[/citation]
Yea and those movies suck arse. I know cause i check every week. THIS WHOLE ARTICLE DOESNT PROVE THEY ARE SELLING that many. These are just sold to the big stores like the Best Buys and whever else you can get Blu-Rays... it doesnt mean they get to the consumer at all. For all we know, Walmart can have 2million blu-rays sitting in their warehouse for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.