Blue tint after dropping laptop

AlastairMunro

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
Title pretty much sums it up. I dropped my laptop bag on the sidewalk, and when I started it up, instead of the normal black background for the "Starting Windows" screen, it was all blue. In fact, all blacks are now blues, and everything else has a blue tint. Most likely I damaged the screen somehow, but is it possible that I just knocked a video cable loose? This is just a replacement laptop, so it's not a huge issue, but it could be a while before my main one is fixed. Thanks for any help!

P.S. I read some other questions, and apparently when this happens, the screens sometimes goes totally black after a restart. Do you think this will happen, or is there anything I can do to postpone that? Again, thanks a lot!

Solution
It could be many things. It could be that maybe the red pixels have malfunctioning (probably not and just a wacky guess), the video cable could be loose causing undesired colors. Loose cable sounds like a pretty likely scenario to me, but for now it's just guess-and-check.

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
It could be many things. It could be that maybe the red pixels have malfunctioning (probably not and just a wacky guess), the video cable could be loose causing undesired colors. Loose cable sounds like a pretty likely scenario to me, but for now it's just guess-and-check.

Solution

AlastairMunro

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014

Thanks for the ridiculously quick response! The red pixels haven't totally malfunctioned, as I can still see red, even if it is kinda purplish. A loose video cable would be good news, right? Then I just have to open it up and plug it back in? If so, then that's a quick fix, but I worry that if I shut it down, the screen won't start up again. I think I'll wait for it to go off for some reason (happens quite often- no battery, and frequent BSODs), and then open it up and search around. You're right, there's probably no real way to know until I open it up. Again, thanks for the fast response!

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

Actually enter the BIOS and check if the display is also messed up there.

AlastairMunro

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014

Sure thing; I'll let you know what I find, if someone else is in a similar situation. It will probably be done by tomorrow afternoon, so until then, thanks for the advice!

AlastairMunro

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
Bad news, kind of. I took it apart (it took forever, due to this keyboard being virtually impossible to remove), but found that to get anywhere near where either end of the cable would be, I needed a screwdriver with six points, which I don't have. Oh well, at least I didn't damage anything when it was open. The BIOS didn't have anything relevant, so I just gave up. Pretty soon, I'll have an external monitor, and my main laptop might be fixed, so it doesn't matter for very long. I wish anyone else who has a similar problem luck, and since applying pressure to the screen doesn't change the discolouration, I would definitely say that it is a loose cable. Kind of a shame, as most laptops have really easy-to-access LCD cables. Sorry I couldn't give more conclusive results, but thanks for the help!

AlastairMunro

Estimable
Mar 4, 2014
Update: It turns out, it wasn't a cable, it was the screen itself. I twisted the screen a bit, and it went back to normal. I hope it doesn't deteriorate, given that the LCD screen is definitely damaged itself, as opposed to something not being plugged in properly. Oh well, it's fine now, so I'm glad of that!

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

I'll remember this in case someone else has the issue ever.