Bluescreens - strange behaviour of laptop

iie

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hello

I have strange problem with my Dell Vostro 3700, recently I've decided to buy 4 gb ram extra [ I already had 2 + 2, so I wanted to have 6 GB ], I bought DDR3 4 GB 1333 mhz by GoodRam and switched to windowtos 7 64 bit proffesional. Here my hell begins - I've started to receive many many bluescreens, with different codes, some from cpu, some from ram, some from graphic card. System was fresh so the drivers. I've done memTest [ took me 9 hours and 7 tests passes ] - ram was ok. I switched back to my previuos config [ 2 + 2 ] and it's working just fine - no BSODs. Today I've come up with an idea, I took 4 gb of ram from my girlfriends laptop and put in mine with the ram I've buoght recently [ 4 +4 ] and I got an BSOD straight ahead. My conclusion is - the vostro of mine doesn't like more than 4 gb of ram. And finally the question: What should I do? Can I call dell and tell them that I want new mobo? Can I tell them that I put new ram? To my knowledge yes [ they have sent me new hdd to install it by myself ]. Is there any way to test what else can cause the errors? I've done also verifer of drivers and no errors come up. I would not say "no" to any answer :).

regards

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Dell manual say Dell Vostro 3700 support 8gb Memory

Type-DDR3 SDRAM
Speed-1066 MHz or 1333 MHz
Connectors-two SODIMM slots
Module capacities-1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB
Minimum memory- 1 GB
Maximum memory- 8 GB

check if you have latest BIOS installed, Try reinstalling windows with new memory in place,

iie

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
the new ram was the weakest link in here. I've put in my girlfriend's laptop and it made BSOD straight ahead after logging in [ the laptop is brand new ]. So bye bye GoodRam