Bluetooth Speaker Performance

duraturk

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
I decided to purchase my first Bluetooth Speaker. I liked Sony - XB20 when I saw it on BestBuy for $100. Then I found it as Manufacturer Refurbished on eBay for $35 and didn't waste any time to order.

I received the speaker when I was at work. I immediately paired it with me cellphone and started to play some music. The speaker was nice, especially for $35 it was great. Sound was loud, louder than I would expect. It was clear. There is an "Extra Bass" feature which I didn't use since there was enough bass without that function already.

Things got changed when I got home. I paired it with my laptop. Started to watch some videos on Youtube. The sound was delaying, a lot. There were lots of cuts on the sound. I resetted the device, re-paired a couple of times but it didn't change anything. A quick google search led me to interference and turned off the Bluetooth function on my cellphone. It got a little better but not in an acceptable level. Then I remembered that this speaker has a feature that you can prioritize either the sound quality or the Bluetooth connection. The default setting is to prioritize sound quality. I changed that option and I prioritized the Bluetooth connection. Again, things got a little beatter but still it is not acceptable; the sound delays and makes the videos unwatchable. Each time I re-pair the speaker, it works fine for a couple of minutes, until the sound cuts again and delays.

Then I remembered that my mouse is a Bluetooth mouse. I disabled my mouse and things started to work a lot better. It was still not %100 perfect but now it was performing acceptable. I mean performance of the speaker was acceptable but not using my Bluetooth mouse is NOT.

I am returning this speaker back. Now I am scared to purchase another BT Speaker. I don't know if this problem is because my unit was a refurbished unit. Or, maybe all Sony XB20 speakers will perform like this. Or even, maybe all BT Speakers in this price range will be like this.

It was a great purchase if it worked fine but it did not. Is this what is expected when using a BT mouse, on the same table with my laptop and the speaker?

Do you have any good recommendations in the same price range? I hear good things about JBL Flip 4 but I am scared to order another one before doing a better research because I know my BT mouse is not going anywhere.

Feb 19, 2018
Hi, I have a Sony XB20 and does not have such a problem with it. I have several Bluetooth speakers at home and occasionally there are some interferences when more of them are turned on but it is not common. My mouse has a simple radio connection, not Bluetooth so I can't confirm that they should work together or not. As an alternative, I think the JBL Flip 4 is a good choice.

duraturk

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
If I knew that the problem was because the unit was refurbished, I would buy a brand new replacement of the same speaker. I liked it a lot, only if it worked.

Can you please do me a favor. Can you place the speaker, your laptop, you cellphone with BT turned on, on the same table and confirm there are no interference, no delays etc.

Thanks...