Bluetooth speaker volume no longer adjustable by changing volume on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2018
I have a JBL speaker that I connect to my Dell laptop via bluetooth. I have had the speaker for a couple years and have never had any issues, but today (when I'm returning from a few days away from the computer) when I connect the speaker it works fine, but I cannot control the volume of the speaker with the volume slider (or physical buttons) on my laptop. If I change the volume of the video or whatever I"m playing on the individual video, the volume of the speaker changes like normal, but when I use the master volume of the laptop, it makes no difference in the volume of the speaker. The only caveat to that being that I CAN mute it entirely with the laptop slider.

I know the laptop has run some updates while I was away. I also already tried removing the jbl and reinstalling it, and searching for any new drivers.

So, short version: Master volume control on laptop no longer affects the volume of the bluetooth speaker.

Solution
I would suggest then that you try using "System Restore" and return the computer to one of the restore points prior to the changes that were made. See if this resolves the issue.

If it does not, then I would suggest trying to hook up the device to a different computer and see if it will work correctly on it. If it does, then there is something else going on with your computer, perhaps changed in the "Sound" settings in "Control Panel", otherwise there may be something wrong with the device itself.
May 20, 2018

Yep, I tried that. No change. Still connects and plays like normal, but ignores the turning up or down of the laptop volume.

I would suggest then that you try using "System Restore" and return the computer to one of the restore points prior to the changes that were made. See if this resolves the issue.

If it does not, then I would suggest trying to hook up the device to a different computer and see if it will work correctly on it. If it does, then there is something else going on with your computer, perhaps changed in the "Sound" settings in "Control Panel", otherwise there may be something wrong with the device itself.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.