Bookshelf Speakers + Subwoofer to Computer?

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
So I've decided to make a bit of an audio upgrade to my computer, but I'm not entirely sure what to buy. This is what I've come up with:

Sound card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-8-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY

Subwoofer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269020

Will all this work together on a computer without a receiver? If not, I'll probably just get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121048

Solution
if you wish but i would suggest creating posts as it allows others to respond in case i am unavailable. i am also not the one stop information source. perhaps someone else has an idea that i have not thought of yet.

connecting home theater speakers to a computer sound card can be done but involves more than just plug and play.

as mentioned before... you need to also look if your soundcard can power the speakers or if they are self powered. you might need an amplifier.

by far the easiest and safest way of connecting normal home theater speakers... you know the ones which have only speaker wire leads and a subwoofer with only a subwoofer cable is through an av receiver. i have my higher end 5.1 system hooked up in this manner. the nice...
bookshelf speakers can work with a pc if you have an amp that can power them. some good soundcards might be able to power them also.

if the amp has a subwoofer port then there will probably be no issues. if not then i'm not sure if you could connect it.

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Do I even need an amp though? Because at my friend's house he had his speakers connected to his sub, and then the sub to his computer. So shouldn't I be able to connect them like that?

computer speakers often go to the subwoofer first and then out to all the speakers.

home theater speakers often connect directly up to the source. the subwoofer normally has its own cable to connect up to the source.

at least in all the ones i've seen.

how you connect is determined by the parts you buy. look at what you are buying and see how they connect up.

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
It looks like the speakers connect via speaker wire, which there are ways to connect to the sub. And then would I just connect the red and white rca cables to that of the sound card? Or do I only need to use one?

the red and white cables are probably RCA cables which are different then how computer speakers hook up to the soundcard.

a soundcard uses 1 port for 2.0/2.1, 2 ports for 3.0/3.1 and 3 ports for 5.0/5.1. this means that the wires are broken down into LF/RF, C, LR/RR. i believe that the subwoofer uses the same signal as the LF/RF but just works on the lower frequencies.

---

you would need to change the cables over from 3.5mm to rca my guess would be.

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I actually have an rca to 3.5mm adapter. so that should work right?

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
yeah it's 2 RCA to one 3.5mm :)

Thanks for all your help! If I have any more questions, can I just msg you?

if you wish but i would suggest creating posts as it allows others to respond in case i am unavailable. i am also not the one stop information source. perhaps someone else has an idea that i have not thought of yet.

connecting home theater speakers to a computer sound card can be done but involves more than just plug and play.

as mentioned before... you need to also look if your soundcard can power the speakers or if they are self powered. you might need an amplifier.

by far the easiest and safest way of connecting normal home theater speakers... you know the ones which have only speaker wire leads and a subwoofer with only a subwoofer cable is through an av receiver. i have my higher end 5.1 system hooked up in this manner. the nice thing is that you can share the speakers with other devices as well.

Solution

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Ok I'll look into that. Thanks again for all of your help :)