Bored Hunters Are Shooting Down Google's Fibers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]oxxfatelostxxo[/nom]a gun does not put out 200db, loudest sound in air is like 194db, a gun being around 150db.FYI =)[/citation]

Alarms that output 200 decibels worth of sound.

No hunter in their right mind would want to hear alarms of that magnitude get set off, not to mention such alarms would usually flush the hunters out into the open as their first instinct would be to run. This would guarantee the cameras would catch them if they weren't already caught on camera.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I would laugh about this but I work for a Telecommunications company and have had to deal with service outages caused by people using fiber splice cases for target practice...

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]What a bunch of morons. Why pick something expensive to waste your ammo on? Shoot a dead tree or an empty soda can for goodness sake.[/citation]

They only have empty beer cans ;D

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Like in all things, its the retarded 1% that get recognized and not the 99% of hunters who did it responsibly and therefore you never hear about.

When I get bored hunting I go after squirrels at long range, way more sporting then fiber insulators.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I must say, one thing I miss about the country was some of the 1950s tractors that a couple of the local farmers still used.

Cross country skiing engineer to get to the job?
That man has won the game.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I am impressed with Google's spirit.

If I were them I'd play a bit of psychological warfare - Put up targets every where with hunters on them and the bulls eye on their crotches. That should intimidate them a bit. I mean image a hunter holding a gun seeing a target with a hunter on it and the bullseye on the crotch. Jeebers... They would be messed up for life. End up not coming within 2 miles of the sign probably.

G

I could sort of imagine Google solving this by placing decoys (e.g. something that is more fun to shoot at than insulators) nearby, e.g. hanging under the lines. Fluffy toys, giant Bud cans or why not a couple of large Apples... uh I mean apples. ;) //volley

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
The fiber insulators are probably a bit disappointing, they usually shoot the insulators on the 235kv power lines and watch the sparks fly.

It's been a problem all over the region for decades since the hydro projects are in secluded areas.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
bring google fiber to tallahassee, i swear nobody here will shoot it heck we'll be in the streets parading and cheering... then on the phoens telling comcast where to go and what to do with the 1.5Mbs connection we actually get here (5Mbs average my ass, i've never gotten over 2)

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Setup shielded high resolution cameras along with say 200 decibel alarms.Anytime someone shoots and hits the fiber, cameras or even the power lines, the sequence of video footage for the area in question would be flagged from the time of the incident to at least up to say a half hour worth of video before the incident occurred. If the cameras were not damaged, then an additional half hour of video would be flagged after the incident.At the same time, the alarm in the immediate vicinity could be set off for say about 5 to 10 minutes.Something like this would scare the crap out of the idiots shooting at utility lines. (Fiber, Power, etc.) Plus the video footage would give law enforcement a chance to identify and catch such idiots.The 200db alarms would mostly serve to discourage idiots from doing this in the first place cause after the first couple of times, peer pressure would prevent them from being so stupid.[/citation]

People should not shoot at those lines, but your solution would only give more targets to shoot at.

Status
Not open for further replies.