Bose Companion 20 - power supply making high pitch sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wuhtzu

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
Hi everyone

I have recently bought a set of Bose Companion 20 speakers. They are really great (though expensive) except for one thing.

Right from the beginning the power supply (and a replacement power supply the sent me after I complained) made an easily audible (when not listening to music or the like of course) high pitch sound. This is when it is just lying behind my desk on the floor.

All power supplies of this type makes buzzing sounds if you put it right against your ear (power supplies for laptops, speakers, monitors etc), so that's not what I am talking about.

It is the kind of sound whose intensity changes dramatically with the angle of your head. Change the angle of your head the tiniest bit and you cannot hear it. Change it back and it is unmistakably there again. It makes me the most irritated in the morning when I wake up (my bed and the speakers are in the same room, I'm a student, living in a small apartment). No other noises are there, your ears/brain have had all night to "reset" and then there is this high pitch sound if you place your head in the wrong angle on the pillow.

So if you own a pair of Bose Companion 20, please let me know if you experience this as well. Bose say that they haven't heard anyone complain about it before.

Best regards
Wuhtzu

Solution

Generally we avoid bose products, because they have problems.
There is nothing you can do except send it to bose, or modify it.

bruce0126

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We have exactly the same problem with Bose Companion 20 speakers that my wife just bought. Plus, she puts them right next to our bed so it is really annoying when trying to sleep at night. The hissing noise appears right after you plug the power cord in, but disappears after the control pod is turned on. I guess I'll have to leave it on all the time to avoid that noise or make a trip to return it.

By the way, if you plan on leaving this speaker always on, the power comparison is:
0.3 Watts (Standby) vs 2.4 Watts (Powered On)

wuhtzu

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
My speakers turn themselves off after a period of time (10 minutes or so) with no activity. So for me it was not an option to leave them always on.

Tony-25

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
Same problem. The high pitch sound is there, even with the control pod turned on. The only way to make it quiet is to unplug it from the power source. After the purchase, I unplugged it just to sleep but now I have to unplug it even during day time, it got really worse after only 4 months of use.

Bebie

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
I have the exact same problem. It makes this high pitch noise when the speaker is turned off. Not sure how to fix the noise. It turns off by itself after not using for a while, so it's not even an option to leave it on all the time. Anyone knows how to fix it?

paulojmc

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

Hello,

The solution for me was to disable automatic standby, and leave it on all the time...

----------

Automatic standby

The Companion® 20 system automatically goes into the standby state after two hours when there is no audio signal or the volume is turned all the way down. You can disable automatic standby so the system is always on when connected to power.

To disable automatic standby

On the the control pod, lightly press and hold the top center for approximately six seconds until you hear two tones that chime from high to low.

To re-enable automatic standby

On the control pod, lightly press and hold the top center again until you hear two tones that chime from low to high.​

Source:
http:// worldwide.bose.com/productsupport/en/web/article_573_automatic_standby/page.html?productlabel=companion20_series1

----------

Regards.
Paulo

arafatjahan

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
Hi i'm facing the same issue for Companion® 20 multimedia speaker system just bought before 5 days ago. When my speaker are in idle then a pitch sound is very loudly hear from the adapter. And also have another question that as there have no power button except when i touch the pod control the speaker turn off. but it is actually not turn off the adapter. So is it safe to put the adapter plugin for all the time and only switch off/on the speaker by pod touch button?

xytiz123

Estimable
Dec 18, 2015
This high pitch noise is from the 60Hz AC power to DC power conversion. Bose has not cared enough to design the power supply with robust noise suppression...

Whats happening is when the amplitude of the signal reaches certain voltage in our case +ve 110V diode has to switch on and again at -ve 110v the problem is switching takes certain time .. So in order to smooth out the noise there needs to be a high frequency filter in place. Looks like Bose has missed putting it in their design...thats the problem with AC to DC conversion , if its not done correctly the problems become complicated especially when an amplifier is encountered in the subsequent stages of sound/signal processing..

olen__

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
I HEAR THE HIGH PITCH NOISE!!!! I thought it was my AppleTV in standby. It was NOT the AppleTV. It was the charger plug for my Bose Soundlink Mini. When plugged in and NOT charging the speaker, it makes that awful noise. I used an app called SpectrumView to analyze it; there are two wavelengths. Audible at 8250Hz and inaudible (to me) at 16000Hz! crazy! so now I unplug it when not charging. That's less of a hassle than returning it. I wonder what other wavelengths from other devices are quietly driving us all completely insane or rattling our cells into dysplasia.

TRENDING THREADS