Both SOPA and PIPA Shelved Due to Recent Events

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Even if jobs are lost in the entertainment industry because of piracy, other jobs are created elsewhere because people save some money by downloading stuff and spend it on something else. Since the entertainment industry is a horribly inefficient job creator (most of the revenue goes to a handful of rich people who leave it in a Swiss bank account), chances are piracy creates more jobs than it destroys! Of course this is only the case when piracy results in the loss of a sale, when people download something they wouldn't buy anyway (as is the case most of the time), no jobs get lost or created and nobody loses any money.

I also call on congress to be consistent and block off a road for a few months every time that road is used by a criminal to get to his target/victim and sue AT&T every time a criminal uses a phone. All of this without a court order of course, since the original sponsors of SOPA didn't think it was necessary to include the need for a court order in their bill either.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]@alidan: that was huge. couldn't get myself to read it[/citation]

i could make 1 reply for each point i want to address, or i could make 1 big comment and get them all... if i go 1 for each, ill probably get suspend yet again because it would be/seam spamish, so i go with all in one.

dkraptor

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Hmmm.... should I go to the cinema and pay to see "Avatar - extended edition?" Or Piranha? or 2012? or the whole bunch of cr@p 3D movies they are making lately? NO WAY. I don't mind and can't wait to see Prometheus. But this is the only movie in 5 years that made me WANT going to the cinema. In the same time, I don't have anything against good movies, if i like one, i'm buying it. For me. But after I'm downloading it and see if it's worth it.

dkraptor

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]What American jobs are lost to piracy? Please, this is an honest question, can someone let me know? 1000s of them are lost each year to piracy! So, what are they?[/citation]
The people they are suing for illegal downloads. XD

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]What American jobs are lost to piracy? Please, this is an honest question, can someone let me know? 1000s of them are lost each year to piracy! So, what are they?[/citation]

To be serious: very few, if any in the entertainment industry. This is because the entertainment industry works with huge profit margins that go to a handful of rich people and they already hire the minimum amount of employees they need to turn those profits and also pay them the minimum amount the law requires them to. If any jobs in the industry are lost it will be a small number of crappy minimum wage jobs. dkraptors joke, above, may have more truth in it than you might think at first.

It is not unreasonable to assume the number of copyright lawyers that now have a job because of piracy is greater than the number of people in the entertainment industry that lost their job because of piracy and those lawyers sure make a lot more money as well, so piracy is probably stimulating the economy (a lawyer will spend a greater percentage of his income than the CEO of Disney or Viacom, simply because essentials take up a greater share of a lawyer's salary). And then we haven't even begun to look at what happens with the money consumers save on entertainment and spend in the grocery store in the (relatively rare) case they download something they would otherwise have paid money for.

Finally the industry could make a crap ton of money if they hosted torrent sites themselves and got the ad money and if they made online streaming services, legal downloads and releases global and simultaneously, so they are shooting themselves in the foot more than pirates do.

synphul1

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
whining and crying because people have finally realized it's 'just' entertainment, not a necessity. back in the day, people went to the movies and paid $2-5. now to get 2 tix and a couple watered down soda's costs $40. to buy a 'new' movie at a retail store is $20-30. other than some who like to re-watch a movie, once you've seen it the entertainment factor is pretty much over. compared to those other outlets, i can grab a fairly new movie from redbox, moviecube or another vendor such as netflix for a cheap subscription. how long have companies like columbia house and bmg music been trying to unload mass amounts of cd's legally 15 for a dollar? they're shit's obviously overpriced, consumers know this, the industry knows this..that's why redbox, moviecube, bmg etc exist. they weren't moving any product at those inflated prices. seriously, do you think someone's going to bother wasting hours downloading a movie they can grab for a dollar a night? the mpaa and riaa are just pissed they can't screw ppl as hard as they have in the past and are using the internet as a scape goat. i've yet to see a well known actor or musician 'scraping' to get by. not unless they blew their money on drugs, toys and parties - in which case, boo hoo, manage your funds more wisely.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
shelved...great...it's more like "wait till we secure the upcoming election first, then we'll resume this abomination"
Wake up people...remember this moment when you put your vote in the ballot box. Let's permanently shelved those papers, VOTE THOSE PEOPLE OUT

el painto

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
The sad thing is that even if a bill like this went through and magically ended piracy abruptly and completely, the people who pirate games and movies would simply find something else to do. They're not going to suddenly go out and buy movies and games because in all likelihood they simply could not afford it in the first place. At best maybe they'd go for used games and broadcast television.

At the end of they day it's just a sad scapegoat for the decline in originality and quality of entertainment you hear about so much these days.

anarkeygodslam

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
[citation][nom]RapidoInternetestes[/nom]I'm still not convinced. The people that never purchased the title, and pirated it, most likely would have never purchased it if pirated copies were unavailable.

I have been saying this for a long, LONG time. The numbers and lost profits from pirating are completely made up! A thief is a thief....the only thing the internet has done is make it a bit simpler (and trackable, therefore easier to see the amount stolen).

Status
Not open for further replies.