Bottom laptop cover

Mikapa

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Hey
I have a laptop and I want to experiment with it.I wonder what would happen if I do 2 little holes and on the bottom cover and get a separate cooler .Will this cool the temperatures more or is it a bad idea?

Solution
If you mounted a fan to the holes when you tried, you either need bigger holes to allow more air in, or more exhaust vents to allow it to escape. If you didn't add a fan, then you won't notice anything.

Jesse_20

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
2 little holes isn't going to allow for much air to flow through, meaning your cooling would be very inefficient. If you take the case apart, you can drill as many holes as you want, but I would mimic it after an actual cooling slot (A large area with slots or tens of holes) to allow the cooler to get air into it.
You might also find that although you are blowing air into it, you need a place for that air to exit as well, or it just builds inside the case, not doing any good.

Mikapa

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

Should I do the holes below the laptop's stock cooler for better perf?

Jesse_20

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
That would be the ideal location. Just make sure your external cooling is directed into the holes you make and that it has a place to escape elsewhere. Without exhaust, you are only pushing around hot air, not removing it.

Mikapa

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

I did many holes but the temp is still the same tbh. So basically I think i didnt even do anything

Jesse_20

Estimable
Dec 11, 2015
If you mounted a fan to the holes when you tried, you either need bigger holes to allow more air in, or more exhaust vents to allow it to escape. If you didn't add a fan, then you won't notice anything.

Solution