Bottom won't come off...

Codys4x4

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
So I gave my Asus to my brother and he factory reset it but now it won't turn on. What can I do? I tried taking the back off but when I get the screws out of the bottom it's like glued or something... I don't want to break it by pulling it to hard I've done this to another laptop. How can I get the bottom off safely so I can get to the hard drive?

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
It is best to lookup the service manual for every model.

If you have removed all the screws, look for stickers, there are sometimes screws underneath.

If it is constructed like a lot of laptops are now where you take the entire bottom off, there are often plastic clips in addition to the screws that hold it together. You will need to make a gap with a guitar pick or similar and see if you can visually identify the clips. Then you will know where to apply pressure.

Some models also have the entire bottom slide in a direction.

Codys4x4

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
I got it off... I had to take the top off where the keys are but this is the problem if anyone can tell me how to fix this without actually cloning my other hard drive it'd be very much appreciated.
When I click ok it just repeats this over and over.
fhPG3z0.jpg

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Well I would try safe mode at this point and see if the system is even partially working.

If there is stuff on there you need and safe mode isn't working, you can take the drive out and put it in another computer. You may need a program like TakeOver to gain access to user directories.

If you have the original media for the laptop you should use that. Otherwise a default ISO of Windows should be used, and then you can try activating over the phone.

Codys4x4

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
I have nothing on there but I do have another computer so I can do what ever is needed. I have a cord that connects to the PC then the hard drive so I can easily clone my working PCs drive to this drive and delete the stuff I don't want on that drive but I don't know of any free or easy ways to clone a hard drive. Any suggestions?

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Free ways to clone a drive sure, however you can't just clone an OS from one computer to another and expect it to work. Would also inactivate one of the clones. Better to download a Windows ISO, install it, and try to activate with the laptop's license. Barring that, getting the recovery media from ASUS.

For cloning, Clonezilla is a decent tool if you are marginally familiar with Linux or command lines systems. If you want a more friendly program you will have to pay for something like Acronis true image.

Codys4x4

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Dang.. I didn't think about it now working lol, well I tried to start in safe mode but nothing will work it just goes to that screen, of the image I posted.
What would be the fastest way to fix this problem?