Bought an omen laptop and was scammed!

Sep 17, 2018
hi, im from australia, i bought an omen hp laptop from a well known electronics, gaming, homewear store called jbhifi. (which is australias go to electronics store) the laptop was advertised (which includes on the box of laptop and stickers on the laptop)to have a nvidia geforce gtx 1050 GPU on the packaging and a core i7 CPU,

i got it for a pretty good bargain which was the equivalent of around $710 USD and i have had it for a year and always thought it wasnt running games at all that well, (had to run all games on low) and i would get around 50 fps on games like minecraft, unturned and rainbow six siege and thought it was pretty average.

one day i thought to do a benchmarking test. the results showed my laptop being in the top 55 percentile of all computers. but it rated my laptop at a 17% for gaming, and i was pretty suprised to see that i would get that score for a laptop that was designed primarily for gaming. so i scrolled down to check what my components were rated, and i saw my 7th gen proccessor getting rated well and that was all good and fine, but i saw my GPU got a 7% rating and i looked to see what it was identified as and the benchmarks said it was an 'Intel HD Graphics 630' not a GTX 1050. i was very annoyed and frustrated to see this as i have been scammed and lied to of my graphics card from my computer. what should i do about this and is this common?

Solution
Your laptop does have a 1050. What's happening here is that the laptop is deciding to use your cpu's integrated gpu instead of the 1050. Go into the nvidia control panel and tell it to always use the 1050.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Your laptop does have a 1050. What's happening here is that the laptop is deciding to use your cpu's integrated gpu instead of the 1050. Go into the nvidia control panel and tell it to always use the 1050.

Solution

Just to add to this, please understand that if your laptop is using the GTX 1050 all the time, it will generate a lot more heat and consume the battery much faster.

-Wolf sends

The thing to do is .yes. use Nvidia Control Panel as already suggested, but only assign the 1050 GPU to each game you've installed. The integrated Intel GPU will then automatically be used for everything else, thereby conserving battery power when more power-hungry 1050 GPU is not needed.

Sep 17, 2018

thankyou for your answer,
you can see im not very smart lol
i managed to change the settings in the nvidia control panel but when i go to customly select and assign only the games to run with my geforce graphics card i only see the games i have bought externally (not from steam) and non of my steam games show up

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

You can choose to add them yourself. You just have to navigate to where they are installed and add the .exe for them.