Bought used Note 3, thought it was new

freetobeme

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum.

So I'm not sure what to do here & I'm hoping with your opinions I can make a decision...

I have never had a smart phone until recently when I bought a cheap Samsung Exhibit. I'm moving overseas from North American in a few months & my plan was to get a Note II b/c I need a GSM phone & I've heard everyone loves their Note once they get it.

So I got here to Vegas & started learning the ins & outs of the Android OS & unlocking phones, & I thought I knew enough to buy a new Note, but I guess I didn't.

I came across a store that got me a REALLY good price on my current ISP, so when I asked him if he could get me a new Note II he said yes. He gave me a great price $300, but then later on told me it was $400. I still thought that was a good price.

When it came time for me to purchase it, he told me he had a Note 3 for $450. I don't have a lot of money, but a friend said I should get it if it's only $50 more. I asked the guy again if it's new & he told me yes.

Well Friday I rushed over to pick it up & in my haste I didn't look at the phone clearly. I think I've only ever seen a Note up close once & it didn't look like a Note, but since I'm not an expert I didn't know. With tax it came to almost $490.

I got it home & realized there were dings in the top right side of the metal border.

I went online with Samsung last night wanting to confirm it actually WAS a Note 3 & I wasn't sold an SIII or something b/c that's what the receipt said.

While they confirmed it was a Note 3, they also informed me it was International & I was SHOCKED. I thought it was going to be an American phone.

I also took the back off & there was dust & dirt in a few areas including around the camera area. I was upset. Clearly it was NOT a new phone.

I called the guy today & told him I wanted my money back & he said he'd give it to me. He's STILL claiming it's new other than it being in his shop & that he bought it open box.

I started looking on eBay for pricing b/c I didn't know what to do. Should I return it & try & get a new one for an extra $100-175, money I don't have, or should I just accept that it's used.

I don't even know if I got a good price for it.

The only reason I started to think having the International one is a good idea is b/c I'm going overseas. No one can tell me the differences between the US & International ones. Is it better to have the International vs. the American one?

Samsung couldn't even tell me the processor speak saying that's on the box. How can a phone NOT tell you is processing speed in the settings? That's just nuts.

I also learned that you can ONLY get 2 US phones unlocked that will work, T-mobile & AT&T, the other ones won't & I didn't know that. So if I had bought an unlocked Sprint phone, I would have been screwed.

I haven't even used the phone b/c I don't know whether I'm keeping it, so I don't want to start playing with it. And Samung won't help me with it unless I lie & say I'm calling about my Exhibit b/c they won't support International phones.

I guess not having a warranty won't matter, as I certainly can't ship it back to the States if I have an issue with it.

So what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Michelle

Solution
simple, OBVIOUSLY it's used, return it for a new one. Since its gsm and cdma compatible you can unlock it to move to a different carrier. its your choice if you want that one or not. Since you have no idea who the "owner" was before and you're going to leave the country why no get a new one?

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
get your money back, and buy a phone where you go. at&t have international plans but they are expensive, and dont give you much of anything (source, i used to work in billing and tech support for at&t) and overages are insane.

freetobeme

Estimable
Mar 24, 2014
No, I want to buy the phone here. It's double the price over there.

Other people bring their unlocked phones no problem.

My question/concern is should I just keep this one knowing it's used, or try to buy off of eBay & hope I get a new one.

I don't know how much T-mobile is charging for the Note 3, but I know for the Note 2 it's just over $550.

Now that I have the Note 3, why should I go back to the Note 2.

Thanks

Michelle

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
simple, OBVIOUSLY it's used, return it for a new one. Since its gsm and cdma compatible you can unlock it to move to a different carrier. its your choice if you want that one or not. Since you have no idea who the "owner" was before and you're going to leave the country why no get a new one?

Solution