Boy Scouts Now Awards Game Design Badge

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
If I would have been able to get my marksman or outdoorsman badges from minecraft then I would have made a great boy scout.
[citation][nom]plattyaj[/nom]I wonder if you get extra credit for homophobic elements in the game?[/citation]
Don't mistake the stances of the leadership for what the BSA is about. While I was not exactly the most successful scout ever, there was a ton of stuff I learned about life through scouts that I simply would not have had an avenue to learn in life otherwise. Again, not saying that every scout troop is full of saints, but it is still a really good program that deserves its existence. I was a scout some 20 years ago, and sex and sexual orientation never once came up at any meeting. It is simply not the point of scouts. Scouts is all about basic survival skills, and real world leadership training, 2 things that my generation and younger is sorely lacking in.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Good on the Boy Scouts. This is an indicator of adapting skills to a modern world while maintaining their traditional skills/badges as well.

I, too, was a Scout many years ago and the whole argument of sexual orientation was NEVER a factor. Period.

I suspect this will become a moot point for the BSA soon.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I think this badge utterly misses the point of Scouting, which is to get kids off their butts, moving, and learning about things that are not available in their [sub]urban environments.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
You can learn more from a military survival handbook than the scouts teach in all your years. Half the time is spent with needless social activities that have nothing to do with anything.

Source: Me, scout for 7 years.

dark_wizzie

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]If I would have been able to get my marksman or outdoorsman badges from minecraft then I would have made a great boy scout.Don't mistake the stances of the leadership for what the BSA is about. While I was not exactly the most successful scout ever, there was a ton of stuff I learned about life through scouts that I simply would not have had an avenue to learn in life otherwise. Again, not saying that every scout troop is full of saints, but it is still a really good program that deserves its existence. I was a scout some 20 years ago, and sex and sexual orientation never once came up at any meeting. It is simply not the point of scouts. Scouts is all about basic survival skills, and real world leadership training, 2 things that my generation and younger is sorely lacking in.[/citation]
Yay, you guys with your 50 accounts will soon downvote me to oblivion.
But the program is still headed by a bunch of Christian, homophobic nuts and I don't want to participate in such an enterprise.
Go ahead, down vote me for stating an opinion.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I'd be more OK with the badge if it didn't have the "console" control to it, which makes it seem that most video games are now-adays.
and off-topic:
What's better - the Boy Scouts as an organization doing what they can to protect boys from potential harm?
or
trying to explain how the organization was able to cover up acts of molestation for years because of it's leadership protecting its' image?

There's nothing wrong with a private organization trying to protect itself by attempting to avoid as much controversy as possible, even if it's subject to criticism.
Also, the Boy Scouts are world-wide, with members of many nationalities, religions, and beliefs.
I am an Eagle scout, proud to be atheist, and I never had nor saw any religious oppression or sexuality in my many years with the BSA.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Onus[/nom]I think this badge utterly misses the point of Scouting, which is to get kids off their butts, moving, and learning about things that are not available in their [sub]urban environments.[/citation]

I was a boy scout and I've been a scout leader. The whole idea of the program is to raise boys into good men and able to soundly adapt to their society. Outdoors gives them a foundation of reality in this world that is necessary to fully understand where we are today in a way that encourages assertiveness and maturity.

Game design makes sense. There'll be a lot of people who whip up creative board games but I do expect to see computer games from time to time but most of the time the kids will conceptualize and design but not code a console game.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_wizzie[/nom]Yay, you guys with your 50 accounts will soon downvote me to oblivion. [/citation]

You do relize that you just replied to someone that been a few years and also is very active in the forums? (yes I see you been around longer but you haven't been active in the forums).

2. In the US, Boys Scouts will always follow the christian faith as that the base of the organization.

Come on, Even as a Atheist that's been in boy scouts, I know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.