Brain-Computer Interface Ready for Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]wifiwolf[/nom]Caution: Don't use it while your girlfriend is near you.sexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsex[/citation]

you should have a look at this

G

If you read the history of speech recognition interfaces you will see that it started out almost exactly the same way as this brain wave stuff. Speech recog. started out slow and difficult to use, requiring you to only say one letter or maybe one word at a time. The software was extremely expensive and required extensive calibration to work correctly but everyone said that it would dramatically improve with time and that it would be the interface that everyone will use in the future. Now, decades later, the software has gotten better but it is still pretty expensive, it still requires decently powerful hardware and in my experience it is still buggy and inaccurate. Here's to hoping that brain interfaces fair better.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]the_silver_tape[/nom]If you read the history of speech recognition interfaces you will see that it started out almost exactly the same way as this brain wave stuff. Speech recog. started out slow and difficult to use, requiring you to only say one letter or maybe one word at a time. The software was extremely expensive and required extensive calibration to work correctly but everyone said that it would dramatically improve with time and that it would be the interface that everyone will use in the future. Now, decades later, the software has gotten better but it is still pretty expensive, it still requires decently powerful hardware and in my experience it is still buggy and inaccurate. Here's to hoping that brain interfaces fair better.[/citation]
Me too!
I talk funky I guess (I used to have a nasty lisp, but now people just think I'm from a couple thousand kilometres away), and I can't use speech recognition at all. It sucks. =(

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Pretty soon, every wife will own one of these for their husbands as a home polygraph test.
Her: "Where were you, sweetie?"
Him: "Working overtime" ( ::LIE DETECTED:: Real answer: "Strip Club" ...BUSTED../result)

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dtq[/nom]I could see these being of huge use to disabled people, or people with "locked in syndrome".[/citation]
Exactly. It's already useful for that alone.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]why isnt it QWERTY?[/citation]

It doesn't make a difference what arrangement it uses, due to how the system functions.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]It doesn't make a difference what arrangement it uses, due to how the system functions.[/citation]

oh i beg to differ. using a standard keyboard will be exactly the same to the brain as using one of these. aftger all, your brain has to send a signal to your finger as to where the key would be. a good example is when i try to type things out on my GPS, when im looking at the keys, which are in ABCD format, i couldnt zero in on where each character is with my eyes nearly as quick as i could with my QWERTY keyboard.

G

The severely disabled population would see the most benefits from this type of communication system, and it's possible that users' conditions would prevent them from learning how to type on a QWERTY style keyboard in the first place. It makes sense to present the letters in alphabetical order for this population.

Anyone who is familiar with, and able to type on a QWERTY keyboard would be better off using a real keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS