Solved! Bring-your-own-headphones wireless party? is this possible?

arual

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
is there a way to host a bring-your-own-wireless-headphone music party? Everyone seems to have some sort of wireless (I think they're all bluetooth-based?) headphones these days. I could always supply some spares too. Can I get some sort of transmitter that I hook up to my audio source that does this? Is that a thing that exists? Or is it all proprietary and someone with a Beats vs a Bose etc headphone wouldn't be able to pick it up?
I want to entertain friends but not annoy neighbours. Thank you!

Solution
For OSX, I think it's easiest to use VLC, check out the guide here

and yes exactly, once you get it setup on your mac everyone else just has to join your wifi network, install the VLC player then just connect to your stream, should be able to support a large number of connections

arual

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

right- but can I buy a box that handles multiple 1-1 connections? sort of like this except for more devices? idk, maybe it's not a thing that exists :(

nobspls

Proper
Mar 14, 2018
Streaming server is a much better way to do this. If you are lazy, you could just put everyone in a Discord channel and then just pump music from your music player straight into the mic-in on your PC and they will then all hear the music.

Discount stores sometime sell FM-based wireless headphones. With one transmitter (basically - an FM radio) you can cover a small backyard. Folks with Android-based phones can get FM Radio app. For other you'll have to get headphones.

Similar option is InfraRed based wireless systems (a lot of these were sold as back-seat car entertainment).

arual

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

HUH ok, is there something like this for mac? I'm not clear on how this works.. what do people pair their listening device with? OH, their own phones, and then those phones use the streaming service??

For OSX, I think it's easiest to use VLC, check out the guide here

and yes exactly, once you get it setup on your mac everyone else just has to join your wifi network, install the VLC player then just connect to your stream, should be able to support a large number of connections

Solution