Broken Screen

grandma

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hello,
How can I get my pictures off a laptop with a broken screen. I tried to hook up another moniter, but when the windows music played on the laptop it turned the 2nd moniter off, What can I do?

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

First, what's the make and model? Changing the screen isn't the rocket science most people think - in fact it's quite easy and most laptops are worth the trouble.

Second - when the external monitor goes off, pull the cable from the laptop and then reconnect - it may show the picture properly.

The main thing is your files are safe in there. You could if you decided not to repair this machine, take the hard disk out and buy a USB converter to be able to access the files through another computer.

G

This topic has been moved from the section Forum Feedback to section Laptops & Notebooks by Grumpy9117

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
To remove you files off the computer. You can buy an external hard drive, or flash drive. And copy and paste all the things you want to keep onto the other drive.
Or, if you are going to get rid of the computer altogether, then you can remove the hard drive from it.It will safe a lot of time and hassle.
You will still need a 2.5" Enclosure to put the drive in.