Browser Plugin Secretly Mines Bitcoins at Your Expense

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
JavaScript on websites can also do this. It has been happening a very long time and to be honest it isn't that profitable anymore so there are fewer people engaging in it nowadays than there have been as recent as early this year.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
It may not be profitable doing it alone, but a plugin installed on a few hundred machines can mine some serious coin. I say they should be taken to court, and all profits plus damages be given to those who installed their plugin.

G

Stop wasting unnecessary energy, the environment is already messed up enough! STOP BITCOINING!

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I have always thought it would be interesting if there was an alternative to bitcoin that come out which was based upon doing actual good. Something where instead of solving for arbitrary blocks, there are actual scientific and ma thematic problems being solved. Almost like a supercomputer in the cloud. You figure this way the energy is at least used doing some kind of good for the world.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
@iamadev not profitable on a small scale no but on a huge scale say 1 million+ cpu's and gpu's you can make 100,000-120,000 a day while it's not profitable for a single person to do this on that scale and not spending any money is quite profitable.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
bitcoin mining viruses are not new... not sure why this is news. though i appreciate the heads up about a browser plugin i never heard about.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Bitcoin mining is nothing more than a large scale and well thought scam.
Dont take my word or arguments for it. Do your own research and get your own conclusions. Took me about 5 hours to figure it out, but im positive getting into the bitcoin mining business is simply giving your money away.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
You know a good firewall would notify the user, hey this app blahblah.exe is trying send information out to IP *.*.*.* , would you like to allow it? That is your clue to block it and then root it out. There are even some good free firewalls if you can get past the occasional upgrade notices.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
"@iamadev not profitable on a small scale no but on a huge scale say 1 million+ cpu's and gpu's you can make 100,000-120,000 a day while it's not profitable for a single person to do this on that scale and not spending any money is quite profitable."

That is hands down the most uneducated comment in regards to Bitcoin mining I have ever read.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
@universal remonster if 1 million people had this tool bar installed and say let lowball stats say 230 mh/s that is .13 a day x 1million hashes =$130,000 day at $797.98 per bitcoin with difficulty of 707,408,283.
A top end gaming system would make 1.50 cents a day USD since they don't pay for gear or electricity to run all those 1million miners it would only server costs+electricity to run server+internet cost they could make alot of money where running 1 pc top gaming system that 1.50 might not be enough to cover hydro cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.