BSOD Can't figure it out!

fluzer

Estimable
Jul 24, 2015
I have had a BSOD problem for almost a month now. I'm not super tech-savy, but I do know how to google things and try them myself. The fact that I am here now means that I have been unable to find a fix for it so far, so if this has already been answered, I'm sorry, but I haven't found it myself. I have a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop (all specs will be at the end too) running Windows 7. I was playing Rift, and I was alt-tabbing out to my browser. This froze the computer. I let it sit for a minute or two, then decided to do a hard reset. This is where the trouble began.

On startup, it got to the Windows logo, then froze again. Left it for another couple of minutes, then rebooted it. Ran startup repair, it found no issues. I attempted to go through most of the startup repair options, finding that it booted into safe mode with no problem, and if it didn't freeze on the Windows logo, then it would BSOD. I got fed up with it and decided to reinstall Windows (I was debating doing that to begin with to get some of the crud off of it). During the reinstall, BSOD happened again. I was able to get into safe mode and found out how to finish the install in safe mode, so that all went alright.

So here is my current state, It will (sometimes) boot into Windows. I have found that either the display adapters need to be disabled for it to work, and if I don't disable them it will either BSOD or they will be stopped because Windows reported a problem with them. I had to expand the atikmdag.sy_ from the AMD folder and place it in the system32 driver folder for this, otherwise it would just BSOD every time. I have tried installing the updated drivers from AMD, but it doesn't seem to actually install correctly.

Specs, problem, and attempted fixes: (aka tldr)

Specs:
Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD A8-3500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.50GHz
System type: 64-bit
Display adapters: AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series, AMD Radeon HD 6620G

Problem:
BSOD on startup unless Display adapters disabled
Technical information: "STOP: 0x0000003B" "atikmdag.sys" are listed on BSOD
GPU not running
AMD says: "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware." and "AMD Catalyst driver (15.7) now available"
Driver installed several times but doesn't seem to actually update

Attempted fixes:
Reinstall Windows 7
Download and install driver software from AMD
Download and install driver software from HP
Update Driver Software from Device manager
Uninstall Display adapters from device manager, then scan for hardware changes
Uninstall Display adapters from device manager, then reboot
Expand AMD's atikmdag.sy_ to atikmdag.sys and replaced old atikmdag.sys in system32 drivers folder

fluzer

Estimable
Jul 24, 2015

No, Just AMD.