Solved! Budget conscious gadget loving music teacher seeks laptop

spiffygadgetgirl

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hello, a few years ago I purchased a HP Pavilion tx1000 or something like that with a swivel touch screen. Although I didn't constantly use the touchscreen, I thought I'd get them on all future laptops. A couple years later I purchased a netbook with SSD to go on the road with me as I teach music lessons, using it with my Sprint internet. About a year later my HP swivel touchscreen died & I looked for the replacement. Settling on the touchsmart tm2t I watched & watched for deals, often passing them by, thinking a better one would come along. It's been 1 year & 2 months & I still can't settle on the right "deal." Now, my 2 1/2 year old netbook is whirring more than ever because it's taken the load of the main computer as was not intended. So, today I found 2 deals at Office Depot, & thought the cheapest would tide me over, but am wooed by another one that is $190 more. I purchased the Compaq CQ62-410US,and there's a $30 rebate, but have not opened it yet. http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/899646/Compaq-Presario-CQ62-410US-Laptop-Computer/

The other is the
HP g72-b60us, and there's a $50 rebate.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/303243/HP-G72-B60US-Laptop-Computer-With/

I use my computer mostly to do lots and lots of cloud work. I have tons of tabs open at once. When I have space available (like I don't have on my netbook), I also run music composition programs, office programs, music teaching programs, music recording programs, and hobby-type programs (photo editing, scrapbook-type things, etc.). I don't watch many videos, except some youtube.

I'm wondering if the 17" computer is worth the extra $190 for the processor, screen size, SD card slot, HDMI, increases in memory (2 more GB RAM & 250 more GB hard drive), and potentially 30 more minutes of battery life. I'm still half-hoping that the tm2 will suddenly have a big price drop, so I can have what I've been considering my ideal. So, if I spend that extra $190, I'll have less to put towards my imaginary tm2t. Oh, and my imaginary ipad2, possibly after my netbook bites the dust.

Oh, yeah, and know I just wrote I don't watch many videos, but I was thinking that whatever computer I get could be used at times to get tv shows to my tv via the internet. I only do that occassionally, but would like to have the capability.

Sorry I'm so wordy, I save up all my questions at once!

That Presario CQ62 and it's Celeron 900 single core CPU is going to run more like a 'Netbook. A 'fast' 'Netbook compared to one of the Atom CPUs but still pretty weak by comparison.
The HP G72 is fairly priced based on its performance IMO.

Passmark CPU benchmark scores:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Atom N450 @ 1.66GHz = 319
Atom N550 @ 1.50GHz = 565 (Atom dual core)
Celeron 900 @ 2.20GHz = 762
Core i5-470UM @ 1.33GHz = ~1200 (TouchSmart tm2t)
Athlon II P340 Dual-Core = 1308 Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5136 15.6 $380
Core i3 370M @ 2.40GHz = 2218 HP G72

spiffygadgetgirl

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Thanks, WR2, I've been watching the LogicBuy deals & considered the 25% off one, but had wanted the switchable graphics option & it wasn't there when the 25% off deal was posted. The tm2t laptop I built was still around $899 (don't have exact price in front of me), which was disappointing, when I was hoping for $699.

Thanks also for the cpubenchmark link. I do lots of research on things, but processors have eluded me so far. I'll check it out.

I went into the store because of the $297 price tag for a temporary fix computer, but the closer the cost gets to $500 and more, then I might as well keep waiting to purchase the tm2t.

spiffygadgetgirl

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
1. What is your budget? depends on how long it will last - 800 if it will last 3 years

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? I lean towards 12" screens, but would be interested in 17" screen if price was right

3. What screen resolution do you want? not sure I care

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? I need a "main" computer

5. How much battery life do you need? the more the better - I'm on the road all day & it's annoying to have to charge

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? no games need to be considered

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.): music composition, office documents, audio recording & light editing, watching tv, youtube, lots of internet

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I don't perceive Hard Drive capacity as very important b/c I can always get external

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. see earlier post

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years if it's my ideal laptop; 1 year if it's a temporary-fix

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? CD-writer needed, DVD player needed, would be nice to have DVD writer, but want best for money of course, so Bluray would be nice

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I'm not limited to any brand, if the price is right and reviews are likely favorable

13. What country do you live in? United States

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

spiffygadgetgirl

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I'm confused. for the Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5136 15.6 $380 http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/toshiba-satellite-c655d-laptop/29318.aspx says it's clocked at 1.5GHz. I thought the higher the GHz the faster the processor, but I see the chart gives this processor a higher rank than some with lower GHz. I guess I need to keep learning!

Also my netbook has the processor N270, so I'm thinking almost any newer processor will be faster for a little while!