Budget Gaming Laptop

Mar 2, 2012
Hi. Ok, I'm looking for a gaming laptop that will play these games: Torchlight 1 & 2, Prototype 1 & 2, Darksiders, The Witcher 2, Star Wars The Old Republic 2 Sith Lords and Diablo 3. I already have these games. I just need a really good budget gaming laptop under 300 if any such things exist out there. New or used is fine with me.

Solution
I just need a really good budget gaming laptop under 300

You would be hard pressed to make a "gaming" desktop at that budget. and that wouldn't include os monitor, ect. My advice find a way to save more money. A laptop that can play some of those games is probably 600.

The laptops you listed will not run the games you want to play other then possibly TL1 and KOTR 2, and prototype 1.

You need a discrete gpu like amd 7670M or a gt630 to play prototype 2 on low to medium as well as the witcher 2. To play D3 on anything but low graphics at a horrible resolution you need the above as well.

The cheapest laptop I can find to play those games is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215411

I wouldn't...

XXStavrosXX

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
If you look for budget gaming laptop make sure that they have at least:

CPU: A6-4400M 2.7GHz or Intel Core i3-2350M

GPU: 7450M (even better 7670M) or 630M (even better 640M)

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I just need a really good budget gaming laptop under 300

You would be hard pressed to make a "gaming" desktop at that budget. and that wouldn't include os monitor, ect. My advice find a way to save more money. A laptop that can play some of those games is probably 600.

The laptops you listed will not run the games you want to play other then possibly TL1 and KOTR 2, and prototype 1.

You need a discrete gpu like amd 7670M or a gt630 to play prototype 2 on low to medium as well as the witcher 2. To play D3 on anything but low graphics at a horrible resolution you need the above as well.

The cheapest laptop I can find to play those games is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215411

I wouldn't recommend this laptop either but its the cheapest that has an "ok" card. Most peoples "budget gaming" laptop is $800-1k.

Solution

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

I can't blame you for wanting this but, frankly, you're wasting your time. If there was any such thing as a "gaming laptop" it would cost thousands, not hundreds. Unfortunately, laptops are NOT portable desktops and never will be.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

I disagree, there are "gaming laptops", I will give you that they do start around 1k and should be around 1.5k minimum.

Unfortunately, laptops are NOT portable desktops and never will be.
This is wrong, laptops will eventually become portable desktops. It may be 30 years but it will happen.

Mar 2, 2012
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have heard similar and it turns out that I'd rather just stick to my desktops instead. I just wanted to be able to play as I go. The prices for these gaming laptops that can handle the games I play are just too high. I guess none exist that I can afford. I could charge it but even then it's no guarantee it'll play my list of games.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

This is wrong, laptops will eventually become portable desktops.

Sorry, but your ignorance is showing. No matter how much performance you cram into a laptop (today or in the future) you will always be able to cram more into a desktop. Heat is and always will be the limiting item. To call a powerful portable a "laptop" is a misnomer, even today as they get too hot to leave on your lap. This will only get worse over time. Nobody will ever be able to cool a "laptop" anywhere close to as much as a desktop. Simple thermodynamics & physics.

Mar 2, 2012
Mar 2, 2012

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
actually most entry level laptops cant play the witcher 2. according to http://www.game-debate.com a gt610m cant run the witcher 2.
This means that an integrated card will not run it either. The AMD Fusion series is ok but it really helps to have an amd card like the 7670 in addition to the processor. Keep in mind that laptop gpus are much worse then the desktop counterparts. Also the amd A series looks like it has a dedicated card but many like the one you listed doesn't also it can not play the witcher 2 according to game-debate.com

The witcher 2 and D3 and prototype 2 will require a 500-600 minimum for a laptop to play on low settings. this is unless you find a good deal on craigslist or ebay.

G

Exactly, Laptops will be powerfull enough to handle everything a common user needs and all games out there. Desktops will dissappear (unless you want it heavy so that people won't steal it). And you'll plug in your console to your tv for when you want hardcore gaming, it'll browse the internet and do all the tasks a desktop does right now.

Alternatively, you can plug in your laptop to your tv screen and play with an USB/WIRELESS/BLAHBLAHBLAHPORT Controller or whatever is used in the future as controllers, but of course consoles will be way better