Budget headphones or headsets

AleF1

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
I'm looking forward to renewing my Sony MDR V55 and I would appreciate any possible recommendations you could make. I have looked into the HyperX Cloud, Jabra Move, Status Audio HD one, etc. but I really don't know which one to pick...
Thanks in advance!

Solution
After searching amazon.de/es I found a few headphones which would be a nice upgrade from your Sony MDR V55. As far as audio quality goes nothing in this price range will come close to the same quality you get from a wired connection.

Brainwavz HM5- Build quality is top notch. They use two big, pleather pads on each earcup, and are extremely comfortable. Passive noise isolation is also good. They use two removable cables and are built to last.They have a neutral, detailed, sound signature but also respond well to an equalizer and are bass capable. Nice wide soundstage for a closed back pair of headphones. They are also 90 euro on amazon.es.

AIAIAI TMA-1- This pair is portable and closed back. They have a nice...

AleF1

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

My budget is under 90 euros, I listen to EDM mostly and, if no sound quality is lost, i would like them to be wireless. In addition, I want them to be a noticeable improvement to my actual MDR V55...
Thanks!

AleF1

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

Sure, any european amazon: http://www.amazon.es/, http://www.amazon.de/, etc... and http://www.pccomponentes.com/

My main focus is audio quality at a "low" price..

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
After searching amazon.de/es I found a few headphones which would be a nice upgrade from your Sony MDR V55. As far as audio quality goes nothing in this price range will come close to the same quality you get from a wired connection.

Brainwavz HM5- Build quality is top notch. They use two big, pleather pads on each earcup, and are extremely comfortable. Passive noise isolation is also good. They use two removable cables and are built to last.They have a neutral, detailed, sound signature but also respond well to an equalizer and are bass capable. Nice wide soundstage for a closed back pair of headphones. They are also 90 euro on amazon.es.

AIAIAI TMA-1- This pair is portable and closed back. They have a nice engaging sound with a full, lush midrange, fast and punchy bass, and smooth laid back highs. Isolation is average as well as the soundstage. It has a neutral sound signature as these were designed for DJ use, but they respond excellent to an equalizer. Build quality is decent. Currently 90 euro on amazon.de.

Logitech UE 6000- They have a fun v shaped sound signature which would work great for EDM. Slightly warm sounding headphones with good emphasis on sub bass. Bass impact is good and has great extension. Good isolation with average build quality and comfort. They fold up and work for portable use as well. Currently 63 euro on amazon.de.

Philips SHP9500- These would make for a good venture into open back headphones. Note since they are open back sound leakage will be an issue, and would be best used in an isolated environment. Also common to many open back headphones they lack bass impact compared to closed back, but make up for it with quality instead of quantity. Sound signature is bright and detailed. Its aesthetics are quite nice imo, the huge L and R on each side can be blacked out easily. They are also comfortable and have cloth earpads and padding. Currently 45 euro on amazon.de.

Creative Aurvana Live!- Closed back pair with a nice balanced yet slightly warm sound signature. Bass extension is great and can dig deep, mids are smooth and natural, highs are pronounced but not fatiguing or overbearing. Build and noise isolation is poor, and these would not hold up well if they are going to be thrown around as a pair of portable headphones. Comfort is decent as they use foam padded pleather ear pads and are lightweight. FWIW they are on tyll's Wall of Fame over at inner fidelity. Currently 55 euro on amazon.es.

Solution

AleF1

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

I am thinking about picking the Logitech UE 6000... Which one would be your choice? And, if you were in my situation and without considering the buying sites, would you suggest any other headphone?
Thank you!!

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Personally I would go with the HM5. It is truly an excellent headphone for the price and probably would be the largest upgrade coming from your Sony headphones. Compared to the UE 6000 you trade off bass impact for detail and much improved comfort.

Even without considering any other sites these are the go to headphones I would use for 90 euro and below. If you needed budget options there is the Superlux HD 668B and Panasonic RP HTF 600, but I would worry that you would find them side grades compared to more expensive headphones.

AleF1

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

I see.. The thing is I'd like to spend around 70 euros or so and the UE6000 suits that... These are better than the ATH M30x or the SOMIC MH463 right?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Just saw your Somic edit. Those also look like a great choice, if you're ok with open back headphones I would also consider those if they are in the same price range. They seem highly rated in the reviews and are likely to be more detailed than the UE 6000, but lack the sub bass impact that a closed back pair can provide.

AleF1

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

Found a problem.. With shipping costs UE 6000's price goes up to 80 euros.. Do you know any alternative with great sound aroung 60-70 euros? If not, would you chose Sennheiser HM5 or Audio Technica M40x?

Sorry for the inconvenience..

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Do you mean the Brainwavz HM5? Yes I would choose them over anything audio technica is offering in the same price range.

You could also look into a used pair of the UE 6000 which should fit your budget.

AleF1

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014

Okay last thing, the Creative Aurvana Live 2 are on sale in Spain at 99 euros compared with the 90 of the Brainwavz, are they any better?

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Whether they are better or not is subjective. They do have more of that fun v shaped sound signature compared to the HM5 which is neutral with a touch of warmth, and you would likely find them a better choice to listen to EDM with. However it won't isolate noise as well, has a smaller soundstage, and is likely to be not as comfortable as well.

kingpage over at head-fi happened to own both and did a comparison between the two:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694472/creative-aurvana-live-2-review-and-mods

AleF1

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
Just received the Creative Live Aurvana 2 and wow, they're just incredible: extremely confortable, amazing bass...

Thank you so much for everything.