Building a laptop for the first time, need build advice!

WilfyG

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
I'm looking to build a laptop that i can use as a personal workstation that i can use to code and run other various programs. It does not need to be able to run advanced programs like video editors and i ideally want to be able to keep it on a reasonable budget. I've never built my own laptop before and plan on having my friend it build it for me so any advice is greatly appreciated. Ideally I would like to keep it in the $500 dollar range or less so let me know what the best one i can get for that dollar amount would be.

Thanks.

Solution
Generally speaking, the laptop has to have it's parts/frame pre-built to assure it's got the smallest design, so if you were to built a laptop, you've already wasted lots of money, just buy a laptop or build a desktop.

If moving around to other houses, consider building a mATX (uATX)/Mini-ITX LAN party desktop which is easy to carry from place to place.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Laptops are rarely sold like that. Yes if you search worldwide you may find a place where you can get generics part. The difference between desktops and laptops are the mobo are more standard. The laptop mobo & case are designed by the OEM's so basically every model of laptop will have a different motherboard. Now you have some ODM's like Clevo the sell the barebones which are a case and motherboard and sometimes the graphics cards are part of the mobo and you can add the memory hard drives (even raid configuration).

Here's a place in the USA to get a barebone kit.
http://www.rjtech.com/

UltraFireFX

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
Generally speaking, the laptop has to have it's parts/frame pre-built to assure it's got the smallest design, so if you were to built a laptop, you've already wasted lots of money, just buy a laptop or build a desktop.

If moving around to other houses, consider building a mATX (uATX)/Mini-ITX LAN party desktop which is easy to carry from place to place.

Solution
G

Dear WilfyG:
Did you succeed?
I am looking for a Notebook/Laptop for the following needs:
(a) 21” or more Screen. Needed to view multicolumn spreadsheets with 14 Pt. Characters. Old people would be able to read clearly without specs.
(b) Array Processor (Optional).
(c) Need not be long on battery and okay on mains. Actually to replace a desktop but with a K.B. and display to match. Need not occupy space in a home or office.
(d) No fancy specs for HD etc. Mostly for figurework (B&W). (Sort of replaces a CASIO Fin./sci. calculator.)
(e) Custom made with a higher price tag (reasonable) acceptable.
(f) Some service dockets.
(g) Interested in reselling the equipment. Start small but hopefully grow.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Pervez J. Mehta
PERNAT UNITED
Mumbai, India.