Building a new audio setup for desktop

randombs

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015
Hello!

I'm currently in Japan and everything is really cheaper than in my home country, so I'm building a new desktop.
I'm been searching for tips for some time now, but didn't find anything really helpful, mostly people saying X its either great or garbage.
There's some similar topics about this on the forum, but they're either really old or with more specific limitations, sorry if there's another like this one, I didn't find it.

I would like some help and advice about the audio system.
I have a budget of around USD400 for audio (my 980ti got most of my money). I don't like people listening to my stuff, so please, headphones only.

I was planning on buying a Tiamat 7.1 and a sound card, but couldn't settle in a specific sound card and in the end I'm not even sure on the Tiamat anymore, people keep loving/bashing it.
And after this piece of s*** Kraken 7.1 broke in less than 3 months, I'm kinda cautious with Razer, but would buy again if I don't have any other options.

TL;DR. With USD400, what would you buy for your new desktop audio setup?

It can be any combination, headset only, headphone + mic, headset + sound card, whatever you think it's best.
I know USD400 isn't a lot, but I believe is enough.

I'm not a pro, I'll be using all of this mainly for playing games, music and skype ( < need a mic).
That said, I'm a bit of an audiophile, if you say a $10 chinese headset and youtube streamed music is enough, I'm going to shoot you :p

I don't have a desktop here yet, I've been barely surviving with my notebook. My current setup is a broken Kraken 7.1 (the cable is f****d up, it stops working if you breathe close to it). This notebook is just a make do for the time I'm here, so I didn't put any effort into it.

Like I said, I'm in Japan, so japanese stores would be best, but it's not that important.
If I forgot to say something, please let me know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!

dudio

Admirable
It's very sad the way the market for hyped brand names has gone, and it's driven by foolish buyers.
People jump on brand names and pay insanely marked up prices..for nothing.
I haven't had a great headset for quite awhile, but I'd certainly look at what Sennheisser has to offer.
I believe they still provide quality products for the price.