Building a pc for VR for the first time, are all of my Computer parts compatible?

Zack_28

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
I am building my first pc ever for the purpose of VR and I am ordering all of the parts off of newegg. I believe all of the parts are compatible but I'm not sure. If you could tell me if they are or anything I'm missing I would really appreciate it. Any tips for first time builders would also be welcome!

Here is the build:
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
Mother Board: ASRock Z170 Pro4S LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II mSATA 256GB
Hard Drive: Seagate 1 TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 120-G1-0650-XR 80+ GOLD 650W

Also how do you hook your computer up to wi-fi it it's away from the router? Is there a special part you need?

Thanks for the help!

Solution
The only incompatible part I can see is the SSD; mSATA is an old slot that modern motherboards don't have. The Sandisk Ultra II should come in a regular SATA version that will do fine.

The EVGA Supernova G1 is kind of mediocre quality. If you can get one of their other series like G2, G2L, G3, GS, GQ, B2, P2, that would be a lot better. Other good options would be Corsair RM, RMx etc. or just about any Seasonic unit. 650W is more than necessary, 500-550W would be sufficient.

As for WiFi, desktop computers don't normally come with that; instead they have ethernet ports for a wired internet connection (which is always going to be that much more stable and fast). You can add a WiFi adapter, either as a PCIe card you install internally or...

Sakkura

Distinguished
The only incompatible part I can see is the SSD; mSATA is an old slot that modern motherboards don't have. The Sandisk Ultra II should come in a regular SATA version that will do fine.

The EVGA Supernova G1 is kind of mediocre quality. If you can get one of their other series like G2, G2L, G3, GS, GQ, B2, P2, that would be a lot better. Other good options would be Corsair RM, RMx etc. or just about any Seasonic unit. 650W is more than necessary, 500-550W would be sufficient.

As for WiFi, desktop computers don't normally come with that; instead they have ethernet ports for a wired internet connection (which is always going to be that much more stable and fast). You can add a WiFi adapter, either as a PCIe card you install internally or as an external USB device.

Solution

Zack_28

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016

I replaced the old SSD with SanDisk Ultra II 2.5" 240GB SATA
I replaced the Old PSU with SeaSonic S12G S12G-550 550W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD
Does this set up work better now? Thank you so much for the help!

Sakkura

Distinguished

Much better. :)

Myeah, that's a place you could save some money with B150 etc. But at least the Z170 allows you to get the higher RAM speed, which may be useful for VR.

Zack_28

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016

How often is this a problem? Is there something in similar price that I could go with? I am at the end of my budget, but I'll spend an extra $50 if it means it'll work...

rgd1101

Don't

don't know people only come here when they have issue.

Zack_28

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016

If I'm not overclocking, is it still a problem? Thanks for your help!

Zack_28

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016

I just won't overclock for now. Maybe I'll upgrade later. Thanks for your help! I can finally order now (I've been waiting months to finally get it!)

king3pj

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

While Z170 and the aftermarket cooler aren't really necessary for an i5-6500 lots of USB 3.0 ports are required for VR. I've noticed that many of the H110 motherboards I used to recommend to people only have 2 USB 3.0 ports. That won't cut it if you want to use the Oculus Rift with touch controllers.

My Z97 and most Z170 motherboards I have seen have at least 4 USB 3.0 ports. I pulled up a couple B150 motherboards and the ones I checked had 4 USB 3.0 ports too so that might be a decent option. I just don't want the OP to buy a cheap H110 motherboard and then find out they don't have enough USB 3.0 ports.

The Oculus Rift requires 2 USB 3.0 ports. The Rift with touch controllers requires 3 USB 3.0 ports. The 3rd camera they recommend for using roomscale brings you up to 4 USB 3.0 ports and that isn't taking any other devices you may own that benefit from USB 3.0.

Sakkura

Distinguished
They recommend using a USB 2.0 port for the third camera. But I agree about H110, I usually avoid recommending that unless absolutely necessary for a strict budget. B150 adds quite a lot of connectivity while still being quite affordable.

Zack_28

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016

So to clarify: my mother board right now is ok, but I could use a cheaper one instead? Also my friends are telling me to get a cooler looking case, do you know any good ones for under $200?

king3pj

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

The motherboard you mentioned in the first post has 6 USB 3.0 ports so it will be fine. As for the case, I'm the wrong person to ask.

My PC is setup in a home office that is used for work in addition to gaming on my free time. I purposely chose a boring black case for about $60 so it would look like a typical office PC. I didn't want windows, bright colors, and LEDs everywhere. I just wanted a normal looking computer with room for a big GPU and CPU cooler as well as good cable management.

As long as everything fits and there are places for case fans so you can have decent airflow your case is all personal preference. Just get something you like.

Zack_28

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016

Ok thats all I needed to know, thanks for all your help!