Building PC for VR, need advice

Apr 17, 2018
I want to build a pc capable of high-level gaming for regular games and VR. As of now thinking Vive plus the strap for 360/room maybe Pimax 8k, depending on reviews. First time building a pc from scratch. Here, I have my Realistic build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/POBAllstars46/saved/wXPCyc
and here is my Ideal build (just a complete beast of a pc that can handle anything): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/POBAllstars46/saved/G6hf8d
I want to be able to game at high levels for at least 3 years, 4 or 5 if possible. I want upgradability. I'd prefer spending less (~1200 USD) but am willing to spend more if it will really make a difference (up to ~2500 USD) and last longer/keep up with future games (I know no one can really predict the advancements or the cost of new parts). I am open to changing parts of the lists and upgrading minor parts like ram or whatever within those few years if it will help keep my pc on par with gaming standards. I'm trying to strike a balance between budget and "futureproofing" Thank you in advance!

Solution
Might want to check reviews for AMDs new Ryzen+ CPUs tomorrow, but chances are Intel will still have a small advantage for pure gaming (including VR).

I would suggest the Core i5-8600K. You can get higher clocks than the 8400 offers, and higher clocks are always useful. The Core i7-8700K adds hyperthreading, which can be a nice boost, but only if the game is sufficiently multithreaded to take advantage of it. So it's not as dependable of a performance bonus as higher clocks. So the 8600K seems like a sweet spot for gaming.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a classic, and a decent cooler. But it's pretty annoying to install, and nowadays there are plenty of other good options. The Cryorig H7 is a nice upgrade.

You'll want faster...

Sakkura

Distinguished
Might want to check reviews for AMDs new Ryzen+ CPUs tomorrow, but chances are Intel will still have a small advantage for pure gaming (including VR).

I would suggest the Core i5-8600K. You can get higher clocks than the 8400 offers, and higher clocks are always useful. The Core i7-8700K adds hyperthreading, which can be a nice boost, but only if the game is sufficiently multithreaded to take advantage of it. So it's not as dependable of a performance bonus as higher clocks. So the 8600K seems like a sweet spot for gaming.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a classic, and a decent cooler. But it's pretty annoying to install, and nowadays there are plenty of other good options. The Cryorig H7 is a nice upgrade.

You'll want faster memory, and preferably 2 sticks for dual channel. Luckily it won't really cost you any more.

The Sandisk Ultra 3D is much better than the Sandisk SSD Plus, and luckily that's another upgrade you get basically for free.

The GPU is up to you. Prices right now are elevated, and maybe that's a reason to "only" get a 1070 rather than a 1080 Ti, since upgrades later on should be more reasonably priced. But if you do get a Pimax 8K, that much higher res will not necessarily run well on a 1070.

I doubt you'll ever have any need for more than that 650W power supply. As for the case, that's mostly a matter of what looks you prefer.

So overall, I'd suggest a build like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($237.59 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.18 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($162.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - Ultra 3D 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($584.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1635.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-18 06:22 EDT-0400

Solution