Question Built-in keyboard not working (Acer Aspire ES 15 Laptop)

Yeib

Estimable
Jun 27, 2016
Hi everyone.

I have a strange problem. My laptop's built-in keyboard is not working inside Windows.
It is a software-driver problem, because I can open the settings or the boot menu (F12). I can also enter bios and text, and every key works properly. However, when Windows is booted, not a single key works.

• I first tried reinstalling the keyboard's driver, but it didn't work.
  • I tried most of the solutions I found online, and nothing worked.

So finally, I decided to format the computer to get rid of all problems and installed windows 10 again, but, however, keyboard is not working in this recently installed windows, but still works in BIOS config and ubuntu live, so it's not a hardware problem.
I don't know what to do, honestly. I would really appreciate some help here.
Thanks a lot!

Does it work if you enter Windows in "Safe Mode"?

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Yeib

Estimable
Jun 27, 2016
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I did what you told me, but the problem persists. Also, I did the power drain (with the reset button), and nothing. Still, at the bios config I can use the keyboard, same as ubuntu live.
Another thing, the device manager recognizes the keyboard and the driver looks fine.
Thanks for your help, but I haven't found a solution yet.

I didn't notice the mention of it working in the other OS. Missed that.

Hmm. If it was just software related it would work fine in "Safe Mode", but as you said it did not, then the only thing I can think of left is the driver. But I believe you said that you tried that. How exactly did you though? Did you make sure to uninstall the driver, reboot (completely power off and back on) and then allow the computer to reinstall the driver? Which is the correct way to go about it. Or did you try another way.

Yeib

Estimable
Jun 27, 2016
(Sorry, it was sent by accident)
I tried it many ways, including the one you mention. Also, I did a clean format and installed a legit win10 by usb, still nothing.
Acer now told me to install acer care center, though I doubt that helps...