Bulgarian School May Be Renamed to Honor Steve Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

-mew-

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
I'm going to sound like an ahole but sure is nice seeing that a guy that donated way less then Bill Gates, used Chinese slave labor to produce his products gets such high honors for inventing a good MP3 and a good phone and an os thats basically simplified Ubuntu...

Scoregie

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
As much as I dislike the guy he did have a hudge impact on the world.... Positive or Negative.
So go ahead vote so they get Steve's name just remember he wasnt the only great techy.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Scoregie[/nom]...just remember he wasnt the only great techy.[/citation]

That's the problem, everyone thinks he is the only great one. All he did was make his products hip and popular. They were never over the top "OH MY SWEET LORD YOU HAVE CREATED A MIRACLE" devices that everyone made them out to be.

thehelix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Without Steve Jobs (February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011) we would have:
No iProducts
No over expensive laptops

Without Dennis Ritchie (September 9, 1941 – October 12, 2011) we would have:
No Windows
No Unix
No C
No Programs
A large setback in computing
No Generic-text Languages.
We would all read in Binary..

They died in the same year and the same month but it seems only few notice the death of Dennis Ritchie compared to Steve Jobs.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]-mew-[/nom]a guy that donated way less then Bill Gates[/citation]
I don't get why people are so hung up on how much billionaires give to charity.

Bill Gates surely has very good intentions and he is a great philanthropist, but the fact of the matter is that nobody, who is that rich, has to sacrifice even a single Ferrari, mansion or private jet even if he gave 90% of his wealth to charity.

[citation][nom]-mew-[/nom]an os thats basically simplified Ubuntu...[/citation]

Mac OS X is not Linux.

G

While I agree that Ritchie is much more important to the tech industry than Steve Jobs ever is, Apple is not the first nor the only company to make "over expensive laptops"...

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
imo naming after peter petroff would be better than steve jobs which will be better than current VILe. :p
if they settle of jobs' name, they might also want to consider these alternatives:
"the technical school for kids who want to do tech stuff and build overpriced products for stuckuptight douchebags."
"tech school for kids who want to learn tech and honor steve jobs who built apple and is worshipped by the guy who renamed this school."
"tech school for kids who have eccentric but successful vision and can make people pay a lot of money."
another alternative would be naming the school after 'the vin diesel (school for kids who want to build fast cars and make out with michelle rodriguez and the cop chick from fast five)'. that name itself has some tech-y vibe to it while jobs' name has more of a entrepreneur-y feel.

-mew-

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Mac OS X is not Linux.[/citation]

No it's not, I was referring to Ubuntu as a simplified user friendly OS that does the same thing as OS X. Not to mention for free on any platform.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
I know! Lets name our schools after CEOs looking for profit! While the idea of gaining profit isnt wrong, it isnt commendable to the extent of people like National Heroes or Mother teresa who gave their lives to better others.

amdfangirl

Distinguished
Herald
Apr 7, 2008
Well it does sound like some school that wants people to notice just because of its name. For PR and the such.

Or they decided that too 'expensive' to make things in China so they moved the plant to be worked on for free by schoolchildren.

Given the media response to Jobs' death, you would have thought that Ghandi died or Jesus had been crucified on the cross.

What should be remembered is my all time greatest hi-tech hero: Momofuku Ando (1910 - 2007) the inventor of the instant noodle. If there is a technology no student can live without it's the instant noodle.

Oh well at least I can always hope for a Gary Gynax school of wizardary err... RPG.

Or a zoo named the Linus Torvalds school of penguins.

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
They should name the school after the dead chinese workers that committed suicide jumping off the roof of the foxconn building where Apple products are made.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
He didn't invent squat. The whole "genius" was that he made idiot-proof devices, made them shiny as f*ck and sold them at outrageous prices. That's it.

He didn't invent the mouse (Xerox did, he just wanted it for the computer he was selling), and he even bought Pixar by mistake, thinking it was another computer company just like Apple. He then sold it to Disney in 2006 for $7 billion. So yeah. Poor, poor, Steve...

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I see that Bulgarian camerads are continuing the bright tradition of naming everything and anything after dead people who accomplished less than nothing in their life but managed to charge it much more than premium service is worth.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I hope this never happens, cause i will be ashamed twice more to be born in this f'd up country, even if i no longer live there.

G

What in the world just happened? Wait, let me rethink. If Ho Chi Minh was named after a city, then why not Steve Jobs after a school? (sarcasm)

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]TheHelix[/nom]Without Steve Jobs (February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011) we would have:No iProductsNo over expensive laptopsWithout Dennis Ritchie (September 9, 1941 – October 12, 2011) we would have:No WindowsNo UnixNo CNo ProgramsA large setback in computingNo Generic-text Languages.We would all read in Binary..They died in the same year and the same month but it seems only few notice the death of Dennis Ritchie compared to Steve Jobs.[/citation]

Are you really that stupid that you think Dennis Ritchie invented programming languages? He was instrumental in the creation of "C", my favorite programming language, and Unix, my least favorite operating system, but everything you wrote is pure crap. The strange thing is that so many people agreed with you. It's scary.

But, going back to reality, you could more easily say that without Jobs there would be no Windows, because Microsoft simply copied it. Then you could point to Xerox, etc... The point is, most of the technologies that are invented by one company, or group, would inevitably been invented by another. For example, if Intel didn't invent the microprocessor, you think no one else would have? Some things are just natural evolutions, and SOMEONE has to be first, but, it would have been done sooner or later anyway.

Also, Jobs had a more direct impact on a lot more people. His contributions are better understood. Making an operating system and a programming language (both at least somewhat difficult to work with) aren't particularly visible to a lot of people. Making things work the way people want, in pretty, elegant styles, is very visible to a lot of people. Jobs was the master at creating things that people liked. Technology for the sake of technology is a mistake that is often made. Technology for the sake of people (and profits :p) is what Steve Jobs always understood better than everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.