Buried under avalanche of ads

System_User

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I was DEVASTATED to learn that Norton 2008 had completely discontinued their extremely effective ad blocking utility. THat was the one feature that made me feel ok about all of Norton's shortcomings. Now I face a migraine inducing cacophony for the eyes everytime I open my browser window. ANd I can't take it anymore. I could accept a few interesting, non-intrusive ads per page, but they flash, and scroll, and expand and are either useless products, insulting to the intelligence of houseplant, or disgusting. Content providers could not care less about my browsing experience, so to hell with them. I will block thee.

So here are my questions :

1) How do web companies make any money with the piss poor advertising clients they all have? (I have won a free laptop... again? How is there money in that?)

2) Can someone please recommend a good banner ad blocker for me? I will pay any price.

Regards

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
thats adblocker plus for fire fox reg adblocker you manually have to block stuff plus version you subscribe to block lists, i have it and have not seen an ad for over a year.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
You should also get spywareblaster and ad-ware. Those are really good. By the way, make sure that you have the latest version of java runtime environment. That always makes your system more secure.