Buy a budget laptop or turn intel to amd based pc

kapalik

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
Dear friends,

Currently I am using a pc with windows 7 installed in it. The warranties of the processor, motherboard and monitor will be running out soon and those components might fail any moment. So I am plannning to either get a budget laptop or convert my intel based pc to an amd one.

My PC specifications:
========================
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
RAM: 2GB Transcend
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: one 1 TB WD (recertified) and one 2 TB Toshiba
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., H81M-E
Monitor: ASUS VH168D 16.5"

If I buy a laptop then with that I will mainly watch HD anime (720p,1080p), HD movies (720p,1080p), listen to music/songs, minor video editing (splitting and joining), video format conversion (e.g., avi to mp4), use the internet to download: anime,movies,music,songs, softwares etc, word and text processing and occasionally pdf files editing.

The reason I would want to buy an amd processor and compatible motherboard in case my intel processor and motherboard fails is that from what I heard, amd processors and their compatible motherboards are cheaper than the intel ones. So, basically either a laptop or an amd based pc would do as long as I can save some money, serve my abovementioned needs and last longer.

If I decide to buy a budget laptop which brand and model should I buy? In case I decide to buy amd processor and motherboard, which one should I buy? I never had a laptop and used one before. I have no idea which laptop specifiactions would suit my needs. The same thing goes for amd processor and motherboard. So, every kind suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Excluding the yet unreleased AMD Ryzen series CPUs, Intel CPUs are more powerful than AMD's FX series CPU and especially AMD's APUs. In some games like Skyrim a Core i3 CPU with whatever GPU you want to pair up with it can wipe the floor of a FX-8350 with that same GPU.

The ASUS H81M-E is a pretty standard socket 1150 motherboard that will allow you to install any 4th generation Core i3 / i5 / i7 CPU which are all sockt 1150. The only thing not worth installing is any i5 or i7 CPU with a "K" designation because that motherboard cannot overclock CPUs. I recommend the quad core i5-4460 for $214 if you want to upgrade.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4RR6396

Sure AMD FX CPUs are inexpensive, but they are also...

sizzling

Distinguished
Those components are not that old, just because the warranty runs out shouldn't mean it will fail any time soon.

AMD is not necessarily cheaper and AMD's current CPU range are outdated. AMD's new range is launching next month so if you can wait there might be some new options very soon.

I'd advise you decide if a laptop or desktop is better for you as its a personal choice. Then let us know the budget and we can advise what would be best to buy.

SSerbana

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
As Sizzling said, your computer is just fine, just get some more RAM and a decent video card and you'll be good for several years. As a former computer tech, I advise to stick with a desktop if you don't need mobility, they are more reliable (and easier to fix).
P.S. Also the power supply is very important, get a good one and turn the power off (from a power bar) when you don't use the computer, the power supply will last longer.

SSerbana

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017

Your question is like (analogy with cars): what the cars that have the best speed now?

My best suggestion is to keep the desktop as they offer more power than laptops will for the same price. Also the parts are easier to replace.

I am not a desktop person so I don't know what parts you will need for the amd conversion.
The laptop will depend on the budget.

Excluding the yet unreleased AMD Ryzen series CPUs, Intel CPUs are more powerful than AMD's FX series CPU and especially AMD's APUs. In some games like Skyrim a Core i3 CPU with whatever GPU you want to pair up with it can wipe the floor of a FX-8350 with that same GPU.

The ASUS H81M-E is a pretty standard socket 1150 motherboard that will allow you to install any 4th generation Core i3 / i5 / i7 CPU which are all sockt 1150. The only thing not worth installing is any i5 or i7 CPU with a "K" designation because that motherboard cannot overclock CPUs. I recommend the quad core i5-4460 for $214 if you want to upgrade.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4RR6396

Sure AMD FX CPUs are inexpensive, but they are also generally less powerful and produce at lot of heat. They are old CPUs based on the Pile Driver architecture dating back to 2012. The AMD APUs are even less powerful than the FX CPUs, but they have integrated graphics. AMD will finally be releasing their next generation Ryzen CPUs in a month or two. But they will not be compatible with older motherboards since they require a socket AM4 motherboard. Performance is unknown to me at this point in time and so is the pricing. I don't bother searching for performance reviews until the Ryzen CPU are officially released.

If Ryzen CPUs can be somewhat close to Intel's CPUs, then that will save AMD because that means AMD can charge prices that are competitive with Intel's CPU which also allows AMD to charge higher price to make a profit. AMD has been borrowing a lot of money to continue to remain in business. If AMD does not have the money to pay back the loans when they are due (starting next year I think) that AMD is going to be in very serious trouble...

-------------------------------------------------------------

As for laptops, I generally recommend you avoid AMD if you are looking for performance. As I mentioned above, thier APUs are not very powerful. Intel also rules the laptop market. Will that change when Ryzen APUs are released sometime in the 2nd half of 2017 remains to be seen. Though AMD's presence in the laptop market will still be very small.

What laptop you can afford will depend on how much you are willing to spend on a laptop.

Solution

SSerbana

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017

To add more on this, in my 10 years experience as a comp tech, I've seen hundreds of defective AMD laptop CPUs, but only 2 Intel ones, that says a lot about reliability.

kapalik

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014
Actually, I am concerned what if the monitor, processor and motherboard dies out at the same time then will it be more gainful to buy a new monitor, processor and motherboard or buy a budget laptop at the same cost of those components in total. My budget for a new laptop would be around $250-$400. As long as I can use that laptop to do my everyday work, it will satisfy me. Thanks.

kapalik

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014

Thanks for your suggestion. My power supply is connected with the ups which is itself connected with the main power socket. I always turn off the ups after shutdown even though the main power source is always switched on. I want to get a laptop because I no longer want to buy a ups for my desktop pc. In my area all the ups are china-made and lasts for 1-2 years until the battery dies out and can't give any backup during power outages.

kapalik

Estimable
Apr 21, 2014

Thanks for your suggestion. The advantages of intel CPU over amd CPU has been an eye-opener. I always thought intel and amd processors are always the same at the same price in terms of reliability and performance.