Buy now or wait for newer model?

kevinchan

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
Hello.

Been wanting to buy a new laptop for a while now and have decided on the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro. Thing is, Acer announced that they are releasing an updated version of this laptop later this year with 6th gen (Skylake) processors. They also updated its design and seems to be overall much better than the older one, of course.

Wanted to get some opinions on whether I should wait for it to be released or settle with the older version that's still pretty decent.

I live in the Philippines and tech doesn't update here that fast so please consider that the new version of the V Nitro might take a long while to get here.

Cheers.

Solution
Ok don't buy a puppy... They are a big commitment. I still think waiting on skylake for two reasons is ideal. #1 it will lower the cost of the computer you are looking at NOW. And #2, it should be worth the wait in that it will have excellent performance and thermals.

kevinchan

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
Agree :) and I'm guessing by the time the new version does get released, the older one will be a ton cheaper. The new one still fits my budget so it really is a matter of waiting or not.

Thanks for your answer!

JQB45

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Damn waiting it the hardest part. Skylake for desktop was rather unimpressive 5-7%, but from what I read this chip does better for laptops. I'd wait, in the mean time buy a puppy...

kevinchan

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
Read the same reviews too. If it lives up to the hype of being the fastest processor ever, at least for laptops, then I guess it'll be worth the wait :)

Appreciate your answer! (Won't buy a puppy though) :))

JQB45

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Ok don't buy a puppy... They are a big commitment. I still think waiting on skylake for two reasons is ideal. #1 it will lower the cost of the computer you are looking at NOW. And #2, it should be worth the wait in that it will have excellent performance and thermals.

Solution

kevinchan

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
Time off from a computer. The reason why I'm getting a new laptop is because my old one is dying/dead. I usually play games, watch videos and do other stuff on it so I guess unplugged means time off from that. But since I'm currently in college, I can't be completely unplugged so guess I'll be using the library computers for school work and stuff :) I'll be unplugged but not completely, so to speak.

giantbucket

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
is intel working on another processor after skylake, or is this the last cpu they will ever develop and sell?
what's next? are the next gen processors going to be slower and more inefficient? is skylake the peak of intel forever?
when does the waiting stop?

kevinchan

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
They'll probably still keep innovating till robots and AI take over the world so the waiting will end there I guess :) but in terms of today, Intel has been trying to release new chips every year (look up the tick-tock initiative). Looking at the delay of the 5th gen ones, however, who knows when the 7th gen chips will be made.

As for me, waiting for a couple of months to get a Skylake laptop seems worth it when its predecessor runs on 4th gen chips.