Buying a new laptop - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris10123

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
I posted here recently about a specific laptop, but I'm having second thoughts and want to ask the community for advice. I've built a desktop but haven't bought a laptop in years, so I have no clue what the best option would be (not sure how laptop i7s compare to desktop etc).

Cue the long form thing! :)

1. What is your budget?
Roughly £600-£1000, although ~£50 either way is acceptable. When taking prices into account, I can get roughly £100 off in student discounts for most laptop brands.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p will do, although if a higher resolution is available for a good price then why not. :)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I have a desktop which I use most of the time, but I go home (overseas) in the holidays and I'd like to be able to continue most of my tasks (outlined below) when I'm there. I also frequently attend hackathons, game jams and LANs. I guess that would be considered a desktop replacement?

5. How much battery life do you need?
5-6 hours minimum. Battery life isn't a huge priority since I'll generally have it plugged in when using it.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes. Guild Wars 2 (medium-high but will settle for low), Anno 2070 and similar-spec strategy games (medium), Playerunknown's Battlegrounds (low - although this one is not essential, more of a nice-to-have-if-possible). The usual competitive games (high - CS:GO, League of Legends etc). Nothing triple-A-worthy, as those are reserved for my desktop.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Basic video editing (game footage), game development software (Unity, Unreal Engine), other programming software (Eclipse etc).

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
256GB SSD minimum, although if it's got a HDD as well then only 128GB SSD is fine. Preferably no HDD-only models.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No particular preference for site.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible. It doesn't have to be massively future-proof for games because I'm not looking to play the latest-and-greatest ones on it. 5 years minimum for programming and older games.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Preferably no optical drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No particular preference for brand.

13. What country do you live in?
United Kingdom

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
- Preferably Windows 10, with decent hardware support for Linux OS's if applicable.

- Just to make my situation a bit more clear; as mentioned, I have a desktop which I have access to most days. I use this for heavy gaming and all the software mentioned above. When I go home for the holidays, I'd like to be able to continue my game development and light gaming. The same applies to hackathons, game jams and LANs. I don't need it for lectures since I take paper notes. I would take it to the library on occasion, though.

- Considering the above situation, I don't need to carry it with me all day every day. However, when I do carry it, it'll likely be for longer durations (to the airport, library etc.). As a result, I've partially ruled out laptops with a 'gaming' label, although if one exists with a weight lower than roughly 2.3kg, it should be fine.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Solution
"5-6 hours minimum. Battery life isn't a huge priority"
Conflicting statement here especially regarding being plugged in, and 5-6 hours which is a long time.
That's only achievable with u series processors and a light workstation load, with rendering on any laptop you're only going to get a few hours of life, not to mention the fact you'll want a 7700HQ processor and a GPU chip.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-Gaming-i7-7700HQ-Graphics/dp/B01NAW8DX0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500856434&sr=8-4&keywords=7700HQ+Laptop

Chugalug_

Estimable
"5-6 hours minimum. Battery life isn't a huge priority"
Conflicting statement here especially regarding being plugged in, and 5-6 hours which is a long time.
That's only achievable with u series processors and a light workstation load, with rendering on any laptop you're only going to get a few hours of life, not to mention the fact you'll want a 7700HQ processor and a GPU chip.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-Gaming-i7-7700HQ-Graphics/dp/B01NAW8DX0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1500856434&sr=8-4&keywords=7700HQ+Laptop

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.