Buying a new laptop (w/ Laptop Buyers FAQ)

DowntownSummit

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
1. What is your budget?
($600-$1000 AUD)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
(Don't mind anything 13-15")

3. What screen resolution do you want?
(Don't mind, I will be using it as a desktop replacement - I have a monitor at home) So 1366 x 768 is fine.)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
(Desktop replacement laptop - that I hook up to screen + keyboard etc. at home, but have the option to take to uni etc.)

5. How much battery life do you need?
(Decent amount ~5 hours+ would be very nice - but not too important since mostly used at home).

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
(I do not play any games atm, however I would like to start playing the Assassin's Creed Games - So I would like a dedicated graphics card to play low-med at decent fps. Something like the AMD Radeon R7 M265 can only handle ACIV on low at 18fps apparently - So something slightly better would be nice.)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
(Mostly just watching videos, browsing etc. nothing intensive.)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
(Would be nice to have a SSD, not too fussed about storage as I have portable HDD)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
(N/A)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
(I would like to keep the laptop for as long as possible - I'm not too fussed with having the newest technology)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
(Indifferent)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
(I've heard Asus is great, but I really don't mind at all about branding)

13. What country do you live in?
(Australia, Melbourne)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
(Thanks for the help! As you can see I'm not really too fussy about anything much, however I would like the following specs:
-i5 4-200+ processor (1.6 - 1.7 ghz with turbo boost) - I do not want a quad core i7.
-4gB ram minimum (more the better I suppose)
-Decent dedicated graphics card (mentioned in gaming question)
-SSD (128gB/ 256gB)
-The rest I would rather have lower specs because I simply do not need them and this would drive the price lower I suppose.

Thanks again!

-Matt